2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Back In A 2nd Gen

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 03:20 PM
Bob5151
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Back In A 2nd Gen

I sold my 2001 Ram last year, since I had no job and no money whatsoever. After a year of saving, I had enough to buy this. It's a '96 1500, Club cab, short bed. 5.2L, automatic, 4x4, SLT. One owner, I have maintenance paperwork from the time it was new.

I did some maintenance on it yesterday, (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter, oil change, trans/t-case fluid). I want to change the pcv valve, and I have a new Mopar one that I got from the Dodge dealer near me. The spot where I belive the valve should be, however, this doesn't look like a pvc valve. Does anyone know what this is, and can I simply take it off and put my new valve on? Any help with that would be appreciated.

Here is a photo for reference, I'm sorry for the poor quality:

[IMG][/IMG]

And here are a few of the truck:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 10-09-2011, 03:23 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't know about a 96, but pvc is on pass side on a 99.

Clean looking truck.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:57 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob5151
I sold my 2001 Ram last year, since I had no job and no money whatsoever. After a year of saving, I had enough to buy this. It's a '96 1500, Club cab, short bed. 5.2L, automatic, 4x4, SLT. One owner, I have maintenance paperwork from the time it was new.

I did some maintenance on it yesterday, (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter, oil change, trans/t-case fluid). I want to change the pcv valve, and I have a new Mopar one that I got from the Dodge dealer near me. The spot where I belive the valve should be, however, this doesn't look like a pvc valve. Does anyone know what this is, and can I simply take it off and put my new valve on? Any help with that would be appreciated.

Here is a photo for reference, I'm sorry for the poor quality:

[IMG][/IMG]

And here are a few of the truck:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The pcv is on the other side. From the pic, it looks like the PO broke the plastic elbow and stuck that in there.

Name:  47079.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  5.8 KB

Name:  DSCF0498-1.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  25.1 KB

Old 10-09-2011, 04:02 PM
Ramzy
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice truck!!! It's hard to leave a second gen, you always find a reason to buy another.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:51 PM
kfbryant1
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

look under the hood on the sticker in front of the radiator. It should have a diagram which tells where the PCV is located

Old 10-09-2011, 05:30 PM
Bob5151
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok, so the pcv is on the pass. side. I changed it in my '01, and I thought I remembered it being on the driver's side. That should be easy enough. I have a few other questions. My computer keeps freezing when I try to do a search, so I apologize for asking these, I know they have been answered many times before.

1) What is that thing in my first pic? Is it something that needs to get changed periodically, or should I just leave it?

2) What weight fluid do I use in the axles, front and rear? I want to keep up on maintenance on this. Also, I looked, and I didn't see what looked like a fill plug. I'm sure I was staring right at it, though. Is it on top of the axles, or what?

3) I have size 245/75/16 tires on there. According to the door sticker, it came with 225's originally, and calls for 50psi tire pressure. I filled these to 50 psi, and they still look rather low. Anyone know the correct psi for trucks with 245 size tires?

thanks for the replies, and any help on these questions would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Bob5151; 10-09-2011 at 05:38 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-09-2011, 06:06 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

welcome back man ! !

Old 10-09-2011, 06:10 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

"1) What is that thing in my first pic? Is it something that needs to get changed periodically, or should I just leave it?"

It's a breather. Like I said, the PO probably broke the plastic elbow.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob5151
Ok, so the pcv is on the pass. side. I changed it in my '01, and I thought I remembered it being on the driver's side. That should be easy enough. I have a few other questions. My computer keeps freezing when I try to do a search, so I apologize for asking these, I know they have been answered many times before.

1) What is that thing in my first pic? Is it something that needs to get changed periodically, or should I just leave it? Breather. Mine looks just like it.

2) What weight fluid do I use in the axles, front and rear? I want to keep up on maintenance on this. Also, I looked, and I didn't see what looked like a fill plug. I'm sure I was staring right at it, though. Is it on top of the axles, or what? for normal use 80w90 if fine, if you are going to do towing/hauling 75w140. Fill plugs might just be rubber plugs in the cover, or, alan head (or square...) pipe plug in the side of the differential. Not on top, about 3/4s of the way up.

3) I have size 245/75/16 tires on there. According to the door sticker, it came with 225's originally, and calls for 50psi tire pressure. I filled these to 50 psi, and they still look rather low. Anyone know the correct psi for trucks with 245 size tires? Mine says 245s... but, there are 265's on it. I think the stickers aren't precisely accurate. Need to know what load range tires you have on there. Should say on the side of the tire. It will also tell you Max inflation pressure. Only go that high when you are going to be loaded, otherwise, it rides like a truck......

thanks for the replies, and any help on these questions would be greatly appreciated!
Hhhmm. Characters within the quote don't count on replies. Interesting.

Quick Reply: Back In A 2nd Gen