2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

bought some headers..

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 10:21 PM
71dodge
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bought some headers..

need your opinion. just bought these off ebay for 122 shipped. i couldnt beat it. i was gonna put headers on the truck eventually anyways.. but wt do you think about these

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ht_5026wt_1026

Old 10-09-2011, 10:29 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Ceramic coated? Wow..... Will be real curious to see how these hold up for ya. Wonder what size the outlets are..... Look like 2.5"...

If you still have the stock y-pipe though, you won't notice the full benefit of these. Y-pipe is the biggest restriction in the exhaust on these trucks.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:33 PM
71dodge
Professional

yea thats why i bought them. i seen they were ceramic coated and was like damn lol. and its getting a full exhaust system next. the guy at the muffler shop told me to keep my stock y pipe though? i thought that was weird but he said it will make my check engine light come on if i dont

Old 10-09-2011, 10:35 PM
71dodge
Professional

i also got a question. my dad seems to think that after i just put a double roller timing chain new water pump plenum plate n all this on it that i wont notice any diffrence in the truck.. oh and you friggin belive my plenum wasnt blown. SOB was still all in tact

Old 10-09-2011, 10:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

The guy at the exhaust shop isn't as well informed as he could be. You can do basically whatever you want to the exhaust, so long as there is still a cat between the front, and rear O2 sensors, you shouldn't get a CEL. If you do, the non-fouler trick solves it for a couple bucks. (and will work even if you 'forget' to put a cat back on.)

Have a look at the Jeg's Off-Road Y-Pipe. has provisions for both O2 sensors, and if you wanna stick a cat in there, just slice out a section of the pipe between the fittings, and put a magnaflow hi-flow cat in there.

If you do headers, y, and full exhaust all at once, you WILL notice a difference.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:51 PM
71dodge
Professional

whats the non fouler trick?

Old 10-09-2011, 10:54 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 71dodge
whats the non fouler trick?

There is a thread for the non-fouler in the DIY section. Looks pretty easy.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:55 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

There's an article in the FAQ section on 'em. Basically, they are spark plug non-foulers. A fitting you screw the spark plug into, that has a little hole in it, (combustion chamber side.) Ignites cylinder, but, has little exposure to all the crap in the cylinder.... so, pro-longs the life of spark plugs, at the cost of efficient spark propagation. They are a bandaid fix for a motor that needs rebuilt really......

If you buy two, drill one all the way out, screw that one into a non-modified one, screw those into the O2 fitting, then screw the O2 sensor into the non-fouler..... the sensor is partially shielded from the exhaust flow, so, it will read like it is downstream from a cat. Even if there isn't one.......

Old 10-09-2011, 10:58 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
There's an article in the FAQ section on 'em. Basically, they are spark plug non-foulers. A fitting you screw the spark plug into, that has a little hole in it, (combustion chamber side.) Ignites cylinder, but, has little exposure to all the crap in the cylinder.... so, pro-longs the life of spark plugs, at the cost of efficient spark propagation. They are a bandaid fix for a motor that needs rebuilt really......

If you buy two, drill one all the way out, screw that one into a non-modified one, screw those into the O2 fitting, then screw the O2 sensor into the non-fouler..... the sensor is partially shielded from the exhaust flow, so, it will read like it is downstream from a cat. Even if there isn't one.......

Yeah....there. I was being a little lazy and lethargic - Ranger game postponed today...

Quick Reply: bought some headers..