2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Traction

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 09:57 PM
John D in CT
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"You guys dont think it has anything to do with my springs or shocks back there do you? They like to creak real loud in the back right well".

I don't think the creaking has anything to do with your traction/tail-wagging problem; shocks either, for that matter, unless they're completely shot or something.

I was just gonna say that short of disassembling the shackles and pins and greasing them up real good, you might get away with generous and repeated does of penetrating grease - sprays out thin, so it'll creep into tight places, then thickens up a little to act more like grease. I don't think ours do, but I think all trucks should come with zerk fittings for the spring shackles/pins.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:58 PM
TheBrownDragon

Less than it should likely have. I think the valve on those tires are in bad shape because I hear more air escaping out the compressor hose than I hear actually going in the tire.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:16 PM
TheBrownDragon

Originally Posted by John D in CT
I don't think the creaking has anything to do with your traction/tail-wagging problem; shocks either, for that matter, unless they're completely shot or something.

I was just gonna say that short of disassembling the shackles and pins and greasing them up real good, you might get away with generous and repeated does of penetrating grease - sprays out thin, so it'll creep into tight places, then thickens up a little to act more like grease. I don't think ours do, but I think all trucks should come with zerk fittings for the spring shackles/pins.
I think this is the way Ill have to go for the creaking, thanks.

Old 10-15-2011, 12:50 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

90% of people do not ever change shocks. Not really. I just made that up!

It would be worth checking the shock, as they could be totally shot. Mine (99 Ram with 133000 miles) had the original shocks from the factory. They were shot. Every used vehicle I ever bought had worn shocks on them.

Gabriel has a 20% rebate for a set of 4 going on right now.

Old 10-15-2011, 12:20 PM
John D in CT
Veteran

"90% of people do not ever change shocks. Not really. I just made that up!"

And 84.2% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Just wanted to add: Yeah, badly worn-out shocks can help get you off-course all right. I had a Toyota Corolla SR-5 liftback (cool little car actually) with one rear shock that was COMPLETELY gone; hit a bump, and you were in the next lane over. New shocks, wow what a difference.

Also: I can't get behind carrying cinder blocks or any other loose items in the bed, tied down or not. I can picture a head-on where your air bags save your life, only to lose it a split second later from a cinder block to the back of the head. You might be better off with a 4' x 8' steel plate (1/4" - 3/8" thick) that's seriously bolted to the frame. Safer, and not in the way of cargo.

Quick Reply: Traction