2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rough idle and stall after trans rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 01:48 PM
8uzzsaw
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Consider it parked.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:35 AM
8uzzsaw
Professional

So I just read over this after I got my truck back. They said is was the starter but I have a really bad grinding noise at idle that gets worse when I raise the RPM's. And still a rough idle. Am I still looking at the crank sensor?

And Zman, I had quite a brain fart and was thinking of the ALTERNATOR when I was confused as to why they would have touched it. Not the starter.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:45 AM
NyghtProwler
Rookie

for the grinding sound........the inspection plate may have been tweaked and is rubbing on the flywheel....

Old 10-25-2011, 11:05 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

+1 on the Inspection cover. The starter has to be removed to check it.

Of course that won't cause the rough idle and stalling. I'd remove the crank sensor and inspect it also. Actually, I wouldn't remove it. I'd make them do it, since you didn't have the problem before. And what about the ABS and Brake light? is that fixed?

Old 10-25-2011, 11:15 AM
8uzzsaw
Professional

The abs and brake light is from the RWS sensor on the rear diff. It is corroded and therefore not up to them to replace. Which is fine, I'll do that myself.

As for the other stuff, they will be doing it all. They had it all day yesterday and couldnt seem to find what would be causing the problem. Cleaned the starter and got rid of the bad sound at start, but now that grinding noise. Sounds like that inspection plate very well could be the grinding.

I would like to have a few ideas where to tell them look when they tell me they can't find anything. Good bunch of guys, and they have been in business for 30+ years, but...

Old 10-25-2011, 06:43 PM
8uzzsaw
Professional

Originally Posted by NyghtProwler
for the grinding sound........the inspection plate may have been tweaked and is rubbing on the flywheel....
On the button man! Grinding noise solved. Thanks.

Now to fix the rough Idle. The shop said the crank sensor looked fine and the wire was not pinched anywhere and in good shape. I am thinking that it may have to do with the stock tune I went back to before I brought it in. Hypertech recommends that you return it to stock for any work. Forgot I did that, gonna load the better tune and see if that helps.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:02 AM
8uzzsaw
Professional

Rough idle is gone. Must have been the pcu relearning something or something else.

I still have a problem with my ABS and Park Brake lights on the dash. No codes show up when I plug in my tuner so there is nothing to clear. I have tried resetting the pcu, battery unplugged for about 15 min, no change. Figured the RWS sensor was the problem as it did look kind of ratty, changed it and still no change. Wiring doesnt look bad, but i guess it could be the culprit. Forgot to check the fuse in the cab, but the one under the hood was fine. Is there anything else I should be looking for?

Fluid level is good and there are no visible leaks underneath. Brakes work, but sometimes feels like they wont grab. Maybe bad brake lines?

Old 10-31-2011, 09:47 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Might be the rear line getting ready to go. See if you are losing any fluid.

Do you have RWAL? Or 4WAL? You need a bit meaner tool to read ABS codes, standard code reader won't get 'em. I don't think the parts stores can either, but, worth asking. (some of them simply won't..... liability concerns and all that.)

Might be the trans speed sensor as well.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:25 AM
8uzzsaw
Professional

I believe I have RWAL. I can probably get the trans shop to read it for me at no cost. We're best buds now that I spent over 2 g's there. I'll take a look at the trans sensor. Will that one spit fluid if I pull it out?

Old 10-31-2011, 12:05 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Probably.

Quick Reply: Rough idle and stall after trans rebuild