2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rough idle and stall after trans rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 12:26 PM
8uzzsaw
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough idle and stall after trans rebuild

I just picked up the truck from the trans shop and I have a few issues.

1. ABS and Park brake lights on dash. (RWS sensor or trans speed sensor?)
2. When trying to start motor, harsh sound before start, but fine after. (never had that before rebuild)
3. 1st gear feels rough.
4. Now has a rough idle in park and as I let it idle it got worse and worse and worse then stalled out completly after about 30 second of continually worse idleing. Could this one be related to the trans rebuild or is it something else? (Checked battery connections as well because my dash lights all flickered a bit during rough idle.)

I did call the trans shop and they want me to come in on monday. Well its thursday and I have to drive it this weekend. Want to make sure that none of thses are something simple before they get their hands on it.

Last edited by 8uzzsaw; 10-20-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Check the output speed sensor in the trans first. Make sure it is plugged in, and the connections are clean. (if you even have one....)

Verify connections for RWS sensor as well.

It's possible that they nudged the crank sensor removing/installing the trans. It's a common mistake, and would account for the rough idle.

Does your noise when starting sound like grinding gears?

Old 10-20-2011, 12:39 PM
8uzzsaw
Professional

It could sound like grinding gears I guess. I'm not too familiar with the sound. All I know is that it wasnt there before the rebuild and I don't like the sound of it.

It almost resembles the sound of trying to start a running veh, but without the electrical overtone. I don't know if that helps any.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Yeah, that's a starter misalignment problem. Given the way our starters mount though, I didn't think it was really possible to manage..... Might wanna have a look at the starter, and make sure the mounting bolts are tight.

Or, when you take it back to the trans shop, have THEM fix it. Don't let them feed you a line.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:58 PM
8uzzsaw
Professional

Im not touching anything! haha Would they have taken the starter off to work on the trans though? Seems like they wouldnt have to...

Old 10-20-2011, 01:00 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 8uzzsaw
Im not touching anything! haha Would they have taken the starter off to work on the trans though? Seems like they wouldnt have to...
Tell me your JK right? The starter is bolted to the bell housing.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:11 PM
8uzzsaw
Professional

Originally Posted by zman17
Tell me your JK right? The starter is bolted to the bell housing.
I am not JK. I am new to doing maint work and am learning, at a fast rate, but still learning. I have done brakes and u-joints and spark plugs, fan clutch, some body work, but not much else besides fluid changes and bulbs.

Come on z, gimme a break. I've already put my truck info in my sig, I should be good in your books by now!

Old 10-20-2011, 01:16 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

LOL, your good. Just glance over at the Haynes once in a while. Which you better have or get.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:25 PM
8uzzsaw
Professional

I do have the Haynes! (another point for the zman book, yes!) I spend too much time on the john thumbing through that thing for my gf's liking. :P

I just haven't gotten to the trans related stuff or the iner workings of the motor, but Ive touched on most other things.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:43 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

At any rate, you better bring that thing back, and have the things they f'd up fixed. Simple fixes or not. If those other probs did not exist when you brought it in. It's all on them. And btw, I wouldn't drive it all weekend, I'd take it back and plant it in the shops parking lot now.

Quick Reply: Rough idle and stall after trans rebuild