2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tranmission slips very badly taking off but is fine while moving

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 05:12 PM
chadhager03
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranmission slips very badly taking off but is fine while moving

So I think my transmission is dead. When I hit the skinny pedal from a stop and increase speed at a normal rate, it feels like its not completely catching. The truck still moves and will get to second gear but it feels like it should be going 20 mph faster. Once its up to speed it drives fine, even on the highway. I took it to a transmission shop and they dropped the pan and found nothing besides a small wire rope thing, also the fluid smelled burnt and something in it (like extremely small pieces of metal in the fluid). They were nice enough to give me my truck back free of charge as well

The owner said to rebuild it they'll take it out, rebuild the transmission and rebuild the torque converter onsite. They also replace all gaskets (master rebuild kit) and replace the solenoids with new ones. They quoted at least 1200 and at max 1800, they'll also replace the transmission cooler with a new one. And a 1 year warranty. I forgot my list of stuff to replace it with but the guy seemed like if I wanted something in there he'd do it. He said he'd replace it for under a grand but that would be with used parts.

Any ideas on whats wrong with it before I take it to a shop to fix it?

Old 10-21-2011, 05:16 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You should have had them adjust the band while they had it open. And adjust the one on the outside. If nothing else, you may get more miles out of it.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:20 PM
chadhager03
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll try it but I think I'm passed that stage, its scarry to drive and Im ready to rebuild it. Or actually fix whats wrong with it myself. Just making sure its not any easy fix that these guys are trying to screw me over for because I don't know whats going on.

They also hooked it up to a computer and no codes came up.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:23 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Well, adjusting the bands might have been an easy fix. And cleaning the Gov solenoid wouldn't hurt either, while the pan is off.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

I wouldn't want the stock converter back in there, rebuilt or not. They sucked when they were new, and I sure as shootin' wouldn't trust one that was rebuilt.

Drop the pan, change out some more fluid, replace the filter, adjust the bands, clean the governor pressure sensor and solenoid. See if that doesn't make it want to behave better. If not, rebuild it. REPLACE the torque converter with a good quality unit.

Quick Reply: Tranmission slips very badly taking off but is fine while moving