2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need help...Truck not running right

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 04:57 PM
2SSick
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok...i just realized im going thru oil and coolant extremely quickly....just put 5 quarts in a week ago and drove the truck maybe 7 miles and the dipstick is telling me to add already and when i i knock on the oil pan it feels hollow...the coolant i'm not 100% if it has any air pockets in it and needs to be bleed but i put about 3/4 a gallon in it till it filled up the radiator and bubbles were coming up into the reservoir but not filling the reservoir..(the reservoir is pretty much empty)...i'm not showing any leaks on the ground at all...the truck doesn't overheat and i don't notice any noticeable blue or white smoke coming out of the exhaust...did i just spent about 700 dollars on new parts for nothing? is my truck pretty much toast?

Old 11-01-2011, 05:04 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Was the oil level reading right when you put the 5qts in?

Old 11-01-2011, 07:43 PM
2SSick

Originally Posted by zman17
Was the oil level reading right when you put the 5qts in?
the dip stick was dry...i drained the old oil first and less then a quart came out...also the new oil i just put in a week ago and drove 7 miles with was already black...not sure if thats normal for only 7 miles.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:45 PM
2SSick

also to add...ive had the truck for a year and put 7500 miles on it and did 2 oil changes prior to this last 1...i just graduated school for auto tech and i did it at school both times and alot of oil came out both times i drained it...more or less the normal amount...also i did a compression test and 2 of the cylinders only held about 50psi and 60ish on a wet test. so i figured it wasn't my rings but possibly a head gasket leak but my oil never showed any signs of coolant. my coolant system holds pressure but my radiator cap doesnt. and the vacuum test i did off the brake booster was in range. the pressure tests and vacuum test were done in the spring time and i didnt really use the truck over the summer.

Last edited by 2SSick; 11-01-2011 at 07:50 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

That's bad. Pressure didn't come up much, so, prolly not rings. More likely cracked heads. Time for a rebuild?

Old 11-01-2011, 08:05 PM
2SSick

Originally Posted by HeyYou
That's bad. Pressure didn't come up much, so, prolly not rings. More likely cracked heads. Time for a rebuild?
thats what im afraid of...the thing is that my tranny slips so i dont really wanna spend too much on it to have to rebuild the tranny next...i was just hoping this truck would last me another 3 years till my camaros paid off and i could get a new truck. rebuilt motor and tranny, i might as well cut my loses and buy something else.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Well..... If you come across a good deal.... go for it. My view is though, if the body is in good shape, and you know EVERYTHING that is wrong with the truck...... rebuilding the engine/trans may end up being cheaper than buying something else, and then having to work on that as well.....

Old 11-01-2011, 08:23 PM
2SSick

Well..... If you come across a good deal.... go for it. My view is though, if the body is in good shape, and you know EVERYTHING that is wrong with the truck...... rebuilding the engine/trans may end up being cheaper than buying something else, and then having to work on that as well.....
this is true...its just my luck has always been whenever i fix something, something else breaks...after this truck im never buying used again...well atleast not 10 years old, unless its intended to be a project car from the start.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Oh, don't feel like the lone ranger there, 2SSick. I just keep fixing things until something breaks that I don't care about, and I leave it. Things stop breaking then.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:27 PM
2SSick

Oh, don't feel like the lone ranger there, 2SSick. I just keep fixing things until something breaks that I don't care about, and I leave it. Things stop breaking then.
lol...i wanna attempt to fix the heads myself but im kinda scared ill mess it up and im kinda strapped for time with winter being around the corner

how could i tell if its a cracked head or just a gasket?

Quick Reply: Need help...Truck not running right