2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

adjustable track bar

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 12:18 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You will only need drop sway bar brackets if the suspension lift is > 3".

The idea about the drop brackets, as most SLs advertise, is to maintain stock driving condition. Therefore its cheaper and easier to just geometrically drop the sway bar. The links are quite small in diameter. So the high price for the adjustables....you'll notice are much larger in size relative to the stock ones.

I'd much prefer dealywingers on anything though as they are the end-all-be-all whatchamacallit all-rounders. :P

Old 11-02-2011, 04:57 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle

With your 3" spacer...iirc that isn't a true 3". Spacers thickness is ratioed. Or maybe only certain companies did that. Point being is to get the right length for that Tbar so maybe you can have a trusted alignment shop measure for you the proper length....? (e.g., centered axle)
In a solid axled, coil sprung front end, a 3" spacer gives you 3" of lift. With leaf springs, lengthening ONE side (either shackle or fixed hanger) by three inches nets 1.5 inches of lift (assuming axle is mounted dead center of the spring). lengthening both by 3" will net 3" of lift.

Where it gets tricky: With IFS the spindles are mounted on the outermost edge of the A arms, while the springs/struts/coilovers etc are not. So, If you had an 18" A arm, and the struts were mounted 12" from the frame (6" inboard of the spindles), a spacer designed for 3" of lift would be 2" thick. That's all very simple nice neat numbers, but you get the idea.

I hope.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:19 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion

Originally Posted by 2x1972
In a solid axled, coil sprung front end, a 3" spacer gives you 3" of lift. With leaf springs, lengthening ONE side (either shackle or fixed hanger) by three inches nets 1.5 inches of lift (assuming axle is mounted dead center of the spring). lengthening both by 3" will net 3" of lift.

Where it gets tricky: With IFS the spindles are mounted on the outermost edge of the A arms, while the springs/struts/coilovers etc are not. So, If you had an 18" A arm, and the struts were mounted 12" from the frame (6" inboard of the spindles), a spacer designed for 3" of lift would be 2" thick. That's all very simple nice neat numbers, but you get the idea.

I hope.
This is not tricky at all.

1. By the OPs sig, we can all tell its presumably a coil suspension, not to mention what is stated.

2. Don't care about leafs.

3. Definitely don't care about IFS.

4. To quote from Hell Bent Steel about their spacers (not saying its true for other companies, but b/c of geometry they would be similar).

I just received the 2" (or 2.5") Dodge Ram leveling kit for the 2006-2011 Ram 1500, Why doesn't the spacer measure 2" (or 2.5") tall?

The ratio of lift to spacer thickness is not one to one. Due to the design of the independent suspension of the truck, when you extend the strut by 1-1/4" (for 2" lift) or 1-3/8"; (for 2.5" lift) the angle of the strut becomes steeper allowing the truck to experience approximately 2" or 2.5” of lift, respectively. It is the combination of extending the strut and the change in angle that gives the full lift. Once the leveling kit is properly installed and you have the truck aligned, you will see the lift you expect. Remember that the installation is not complete until you have the truck aligned.
I'm offering this as additional information to the OP in regards to choosing an appropriate Track Bar Length. The accuracy of that measurement will be dependent on the spacers AND alignment to derive the actual "Lift". It's not automatic to have 3" spacer and NET 3" of lift if there is considerable misalignment. I presume though that the OPs is probably not bad at all. Otherwise tire wear and other jazz would be spouting from him.

That is all Mr. Tricky 1972. I'm not saying your input is invaluable since your experience base is probably larger than mine.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:32 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is the quote you based your reply on:

I just received the 2" (or 2.5") Dodge Ram leveling kit for the 2006-2011 Ram 1500, Why doesn't the spacer measure 2" (or 2.5") tall?

The ratio of lift to spacer thickness is not one to one. Due to the design of the independent suspension of the truck, when you extend the strut by 1-1/4" (for 2" lift) or 1-3/8"; (for 2.5" lift) the angle of the strut becomes steeper allowing the truck to experience approximately 2" or 2.5” of lift, respectively. It is the combination of extending the strut and the change in angle that gives the full lift. Once the leveling kit is properly installed and you have the truck aligned, you will see the lift you expect. Remember that the installation is not complete until you have the truck aligned.

This is talking about a IFS ram 1/2 ton. I was under the impression you
Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
Definitely don't care about IFS.

Sincerely,
Mr. Tricky 1972

Last edited by Wombat Ranger; 11-02-2011 at 05:37 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:00 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion

B/c....

me

I got caught up in the "sammiches" thread!! Really I did!!

And then I really lost it when

for good measure tried to ground myself with

Where is the :egg-on-my-face: smiley!!!

bygones?

Old 11-02-2011, 06:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,210 Likes on 2,961 Posts

Nice shoes.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:14 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WTF just went on in that post?

Old 11-02-2011, 09:20 PM
BackwoodsRam
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i couldn't even tell that she had shoes on.....

Old 11-02-2011, 09:39 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^lol
At least she had pasties, otherwise old knuckle (har) would be banned.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:35 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

All I know is, I wish I could my lawn to be as green. I don't think the wife would go for the ornament though.

Quick Reply: adjustable track bar