2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

anyone got a stick of dynamite??!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 07:43 PM
mcweaver
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default anyone got a stick of dynamite??!!

So I bought this 98 Dodge 5.2 4x4 about 3 weeks ago. I think I got it at a good price. I knew it needed some front end work, so after getting it home and getting it on the lift I notice the trans pan, oil pan, and steering box were leaking also. So the I started working on it on a Friday night and finished with all the front end work, replaced the steering box and serviced the transmission. Realizing to get the oil pan off I needed to raise the engine I figured I'd wait on that. Driving it home that day I realized the transmission isn't shifting right, so I brought it home and parked it while doing my homework on it. The next time I went to start it up it wouldn't start. So after a new battery and taking the old starter off and on about 8 or 10 times and spending about 4 days trying to find the broken wire. Now today after I dropped the trans pan again because it was still leaking and put it back up after cleaning the surfaces again I drove it to my dads house about 3 miles away and when I got there water was pouring out from underneath. SO I crawled under it and I'm guessing there's a freeze plug up under the motor mount? It did look like the trans pan is no longer leaking though! So anyhow, I guess next Friday I'll be tearing into the freezeplugs and a new oil pan gasket! Unless one of you have a stick of dynamite you want to give me? Oh and the trans still doesn't shift right. I think I bought one of those trucks that will always need something. So other than the dynamite I guess I have 2 other questions, is there a freeze plug behind the motor mount (passenger side) and how many are there (might as well replace them all)? I'm guessing I loosen motor mounts, raise engine take off motor mounts and replace freeze plugs?

Old 11-06-2011, 07:52 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Yep. There is indeed a freeze plug behind the motor mounts. (both sides.) Crap collects back in there, and they are steel, so, you already know the end result of that combination. They are actually pretty easy to deal with, I had to do mine as well. (drivers side) They are 1 5/8ths, just get two of em, and replace those. (the rest of mine looked pretty good.) I think there are four on the block that you can actually get to. (the two behind the mounts, and two others, a bit further back) The rest are between the engine and trans, and one or the other needs to come out to replace them. I just used a floor jack, and piece of 2x4 to support the engine while I removed the engine mounts. Worked great.

You don't have to raise the engine to drop the oil pan either. Also another job that really isn't that bad. Since you are going to be in there anyway, might also consider replacing the oil pump (I put in a high volume unit) and the rear main seal.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:56 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also happen to keep a stick of dynamite laying around for those moments when you wanna blow something up.

So if it doesn't work out for ya...

Old 11-06-2011, 08:12 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Trans shifting may be governor pressure sensor on solenoid. Not a difficult fix. May need band adjustment also. Not difficult either - but gotta drop tranny pan - again.....Need to put a drain plug in pan for future.

Get the service manual download in the FAQ/DIY section. Good instructions for all these tasks.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:22 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You've owned the truck for 3 weeks... be patient. Take your time and fix it up, do it right, and don't let yourself get overwhelmed. You will be happy with it when you get it where you want it.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:11 PM
JSTMoto
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Until you realize that stuff will just keep breaking. A fact I've accepted with my truck, unfortunately.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:28 PM
BigBlue83
Veteran

"Get the service manual download in the FAQ/DIY section. Good instructions for all these tasks." I checked on that manual before and none of them say for 98 is there one like from 99 that applies for 98

Wow your story sounds exactly as mine!!! two day after i bought it a U joint whent (fixed) which i found out was from a bad axle housing(being fixed monday ) my muffler got a whole(Fixed) my tranny's not right or my plenum or both. my transfer case leaks one spots a small chip the other is a rear gasket. (both not fixed) now i have a anti freeze leak the ****ty part is i just started working on vehicles so im going on my common sense and my learning/understanding capabilities

Old 11-21-2011, 07:32 AM
8uzzsaw
Professional

Like 2X1972 said, just be patient. Use the search feature on this website it really helps. If it wont let you search for a word because its too short, put it in quotes like this. "abs"

Also, in future, make sure to title your thread post properly. Not many people will see the title for dynamite and assume you need help with the issues you have.

Good luck!

Old 11-21-2011, 07:38 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBlue83
"Get the service manual download in the FAQ/DIY section. Good instructions for all these tasks." I checked on that manual before and none of them say for 98 is there one like from 99 that applies for 98

Wow your story sounds exactly as mine!!! two day after i bought it a U joint whent (fixed) which i found out was from a bad axle housing(being fixed monday ) my muffler got a whole(Fixed) my tranny's not right or my plenum or both. my transfer case leaks one spots a small chip the other is a rear gasket. (both not fixed) now i have a anti freeze leak the ****ty part is i just started working on vehicles so im going on my common sense and my learning/understanding capabilities
The 2001 manual will work just fine for you.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:28 AM
BigBlue83
Veteran

thank you zman im going to print that right now

Quick Reply: anyone got a stick of dynamite??!!