2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission Went Out Today!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 10:53 PM
Dycrow27
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you i have about 4 quarts right now and my fluid has only 100 miles on it (My truck is not driven often because i do not have my license yet). Could i re-use some of it or is it better to just put new in? I am going to Delmar a hour and a half away Wednesday to get exhaust put on my truck and i didn't wanna go with my transmission being all weird so i cross my fingers that this is the problem. Augiedoggy i really hope you find out that the sensor is the cause and nothing more serious and i found that local stores like auto-zone and advanced auto sell the sensor for like $100 bucks around here. P.S. your truck looks good i wish i didn't have sport!

Old 11-15-2011, 10:59 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dycrow27
Thank you i have about 4 quarts right now and my fluid has only 100 miles on it (My truck is not driven often because i do not have my license yet). Could i re-use some of it or is it better to just put new in? I am going to Delmar a hour and a half away Wednesday to get exhaust put on my truck and i didn't wanna go with my transmission being all weird so i cross my fingers that this is the problem. Augiedoggy i really hope you find out that the sensor is the cause and nothing more serious and i found that local stores like auto-zone and advanced auto sell the sensor for like $100 bucks around here. P.S. your truck looks good i wish i didn't have sport!

I had to go back into my transmission so I drained and filtered the fluid to reuse. It was clean and very few miles. If you keep it clean, and filter (I used automotive paint filters) and place in clean jug it could be reused. At nearly $5 a quart, I wasn't going to throw it away. Main thing is clean.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:08 PM
Dycrow27
Veteran

Alrighty, yeah i am on a tight budget and like you said this stuff is not cheap and way i can save a little cash is the way i need to go but if i had to buy new i would. Anything for my dodge 46re transmission!!!

Old 11-16-2011, 10:10 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks I actually have one sport fender I had to deal with to mount those lights... I replaced the whole grill, bumper,and lights when I bought the truck.
Yeah my fluid was crappy. they say you can tell its shot if you let a drip fall on a paper towel and it leaves a dark bullseye in the center of the towel as it spreads.
I changed about 6 quarts 9,000 miles ago when I went through this last... I found a local source for the governor pressure sensor... just over $90 (ouch considering I can get them for under $50 online) but time is a factor here so off to Napa after lunch... I also found a heavy duty rebuild/upgrade kit addressed to resolve these issues which included some other stuff like the lockup clutch.. its a great deal...wish I seen it sooner. (wonder why it states for the 98-99 model year and not 96-99?)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/46RE-47RE-GO...item1e685e270a
On a side note I did test my wiring from the pcm for the po753 error I got and everything seems ok so I hope that was a fluke from the other issues..

Old 11-18-2011, 11:50 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

well the sensor didnt work...it sometimes shifts into third and I got it to go into forth but it stalled on the deceleration both times...since I did get one shift solenoid error I'm going to try replacing that as well as the governor pressure soleniod when it arrives in case I messed mine up somehow when I dissassembled and cleaned it.
Its weird that I'm not getting anymore errors.
Dycrow any news on your situation? looks like I'm borrowing my dads ford truck once again for my hunting trip...

Old 11-18-2011, 12:41 PM
Dycrow27
Veteran

Not yet i am going to work on it tonight or tomorrow whenever the parts come in but i will post what happens as soon as i do it. I am also installing 180 stat and running some sea foam.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:43 AM
peshewa
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

seafoam is garbage - research & you will see. B12 chemtool is safe on all sensors.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:58 AM
gdstock
Legend

I see more postive responses on the Seafoam than negative posts. But then again, I bought a can before I did my kegger - and haven't used it......

Old 11-20-2011, 08:58 PM
Dycrow27
Veteran

So i dropped my pan Friday night. My parts arrived Saturday so i pulled down the solenoid and the sensor and man was the solenoid covered in metal shavings....... I cleaned it open it up and cleaned out the inside so i would have a spare. I then cleaned out the metal block it sits in with gas cleaned my pan and the magnet. Put the new parts in filled her up took it for a ride this morning and it drives perfect. It slipped once on the way to Autozone because i only put 4 quarts back in. (I was short) I filled her up in the parking lot with 2 more quarts and haven't had a problem the last 30 miles home. Thanks everyone for the help i'm glad i fixed my problem. ALSO i think a quart of ATF+4 was like 7 bucks for the Castrol brand. I reused my fliter and gasket because only had 100 miles or less on them.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:04 PM
gdstock
Legend

If there were a lot of shavings and debris, that is not a good sign. Did you put a drain plug in? I would keep a close eye on it and change the filter pretty frequently. May need to get familiar with band adjustment in the manual, located in the FAQ/DIY section if you haven't already downloaded it.

Quick Reply: Transmission Went Out Today!