2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission Went Out Today!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 06:41 PM
Dycrow27
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Went Out Today!

I was driving and it shifts fine until it warms up then it will not shift worth anything. Then it has extremely big problem going into OD so im going to junkyard and getting one for 150 next weekend

Old 11-11-2011, 07:03 PM
Dycrow27
Veteran

So you think this may be the problem? And how easy is it to replace?

Old 11-11-2011, 07:04 PM
dlyter09
Champion

I had the same problem with my 01 offroad edition. Turned out it was the governor solenoid. Gave me problems only when it was warmed up. Before it warmed up it would run great and then it wouldnt shift for crap and just ran like pure junk.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:58 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

when my gov soleniod soleniod failed it wouldnt shift past 2nd gear hot or cold... Have you even checked your fluid?? is it still pinkish red or has it turned brown? how does it smell? burnt? Is there any chance someone poured regular tranny fluid in it instead of ATF4? most mechanics will tell you that will screw them up fast if mixed.
In any case you'd be smart to have a code reader hooked up because even if you get no lights on the dash you will find it is likely throwing a code pointing to the problem...thats How I diagnosed mine.. harbor freight code reader... way easier than blindly guessing and replacing things.... and replace the govener pressure sensor with the soleniod if you do change it. they are supposed to be replaced as a pair as its impossible to tell which is failing.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:05 PM
dlyter09
Champion

Mine was throwing a code but the shop i took it to for some odd reason decided to tear apart the whole tranny. there is a good write-up on cleaning and replacing the solenoid in the FAQ/DIY section. And as Auggie said its a good idea to do the solenoid and pressure sensor at the same time.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:08 PM
Dycrow27
Veteran

I replaced the fluid not more than 30 miles ago..... ATF+4 ill get it checked for codes soon

Old 11-11-2011, 08:39 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dycrow27
I was driving and it shifts fine until it warms up then it will not shift worth anything. Then it has extremely big problem going into OD so im going to junkyard and getting one for 150 next weekend
I don't get i? Were you gonna bolt on a junkyard trans? That wouldn't be good if that's what you were thinking. Why not just drop the trans you have and rebuild that? I can only imagine you'd have to replace the soft parts. That is unless upon inspection, you find that you need some hard parts.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:50 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,192 Likes on 2,945 Posts

Get the trans nice and warmed up, so it starts misbehaving. Unplug the 8 pin connector on the drivers side of the trans, shortly behind the shift linkage. Take your truck out for a test drive. You will have to shift manually, as there will be ZERO automatic function. None. If it shifts fine when you tell it to, just replace the governor pressure sensor, and solenoid, and plug everything back in. (adjust the bands while you are in there.) Should be done. No junkyard trans, no expensive rebuild.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:03 PM
Dycrow27
Veteran

Alright so i decided i was gonna go and replace the governor pressure solenoid and sensor. I know that you cant gurantee my problems being fixed but from what i say does it seem like this is the cause. My transmission shifts strong and doesn't slip but just has trouble of knowing when to switch and running 3 grand before it shifts is not good for my wallet or motor.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:00 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

well it looks like I jinksed myself.... my truck appears to be stuck in limp home mode now.... its raining at the moment but im going to try to unplug the harness and shift manually... figures right before my hunting trip too...
its only been 9k miles since i replaced my soleniod, sensor half the fluid and filter..

Quick Reply: Transmission Went Out Today!