2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Electric Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 11:17 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just went to their website, and that thing cannot be turned on continuously. Only for 30 second bursts otherwise the motor would get too hot and void the warranty.

It is only meant for you to get from 30-100MPH.

At 200 bucks a pop, I would not buy it. I would sooner get a 25 shot kit.

Besides, our engines would probably require two of them on a dual intake setup.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:31 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker

I don't care if you had 10 of them, they won't do anything. If they did, your electrical system couldn't handle it.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:03 AM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

An engine isn't dissimilar from a syringe.. when you pull air into the syringe, it resists, because only so much air fits through that little opening so fast.. if you eliminate that intake pressure on your engine, even a little, you'll make ponies.. its not that you're cramming more air in, as is with boost, but that your eliminating resistance..

That can be done.. at very low rpm levels, when the volume requirement is low.. when that engine speeds up, though, a device that doesn't increase volume matching RPMs becomes an obstacle..

I could see freeing up as much as 20~30 ponies by eliminating the engines struggle to swallow air.. but, shoving air in it is where the gold is and where real numbers come from. But also when you gotta start adding more fuel to match the same air..

The cost for doing that, would likely approach the cost of true boost. Until somebody comes up with an electric motor that can produce velocity at the proper volume, it just ain't going to happen..

I'd love to figure out how to use the extra fuel our injectors are capable of spraying, but I'm at a loss.. I run ram air, and as open an element that I'm comfortable using that still has at least some filtration properties.. that gizmo, though, ain't going do anything for us above idle.. and it will just be an obstacle above 1krpm, because the engine is pulling more than it could ever hope to push at that point.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:06 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've got a very similar device in the ceiling of my bathroom, and I figure the downstream aroma of the two products is essentially the same.

Just looking at the thing, I'd be really very surprised if that "supercharger" can move more than about 100CFM in free space, which is about what a 5.9l is going to draw at 1000RPM. I'd actually be surprised if it can move 100CFM at the 20,000RPM that the vendor claims they're turning the thing -- a funny thing happens when you turn a given fan faster and faster: beyond the "sweet spot" RPM, you end up moving less and less air as RPM's increase. At 20,000 RPM, a fan of that style is going to create more turbulence than pressure.

If you want to go fast for two hundred bucks, buy a discount airline ticket.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:32 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by drewactual
synopsis: take your own risks advancing timing on a 'warmer than it thinks' engine.. this is a good recipe for pre-det..
Thanks for saying that, man.

Oh, and farg Hughes for that goofy IAT relocation myth, too. If you're in closed loop mode the O2 sensors reign supreme. When you go WOT (open loop) the IAT gets an opportunity to futz around with the mix and your relocated IAT might just get you some damage to go with your horsepower. That ping is the sound of ******* hammers beating on your pistons.

End of rant.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:23 AM
Josh_Putman
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 11-15-2011, 09:30 AM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh_Putman
whodathunkit... two leaf blowers accounting for a solid pound of boost.. that is FUNNY!!!!! Makes you wonder if you could drop your a/c and strap in a belt driven turbine like in a leaf blower, and get that pound of boost.. huh.. would be interesting, no?

Old 11-15-2011, 09:31 AM
a-master
Veteran

Originally Posted by Josh_Putman
Shat Bricks

Old 11-15-2011, 12:33 PM
Josh_Putman
Professional

I thought you guys might like that story.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:44 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion

I was looking at electric motors that look like superchargers. Has something to do with marine equipment....kind of like a boat bilge pump. I have to find one and link it here.

Last edited by CPTAFW163; 11-15-2011 at 01:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Electric Supercharger