2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

dual batteries

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 06:18 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

true, but if you pop the hood and look at the pass side inner fenfer you will see more emissions stuff.....

Old 11-14-2011, 06:22 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't recall anything there when I installed my air compressor. There is nothing there.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:26 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

yes there is, i looked at your pics, you have it too, i can see the plumbing for it. its right in front of your compressor bolted to the inner fender right exactly where the battery would be if it were on the driver side.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:28 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok right, but those are just hoses/lines that are relatively easy to relocate at your desire, correct?

I guess I'm missing something, so I'll just shut my trap.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:02 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

the hoses come from the firewall area, whereas the wiring comes from the front of the truck, this why im asking how, and where i can move it to safely.

id like someone that has the snow plow prep package to chime in, as they would have dual batteries and they would also have that stuff in a different location.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:32 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If hoses are vacuum hoses, could they not be replaced with a longer hose and move the components toward the front? That would eliminate splicing wires and hoses, allowing for leaks or bad connections. Also keep these things out from under battery tray, reducing possible acid corrosion. Parts could be mounted in area above horns (unless my horns are not in standard location.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:36 PM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 11-14-2011, 07:43 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

i was looking at it tonight while i was grilling up some boneless ribs. it seems as though i can lenghten the wires and move the emissions stuff back towards the fire wall, or..... lenghten the vacuum hoses and move everything towards the radiator. decisions decisions. gonna be getting one battery this week and the other next week. ill post pics when its all said and done!

Old 11-14-2011, 08:26 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by redneck_ram
i was looking at it tonight while i was grilling up some boneless ribs. it seems as though i can lenghten the wires and move the emissions stuff back towards the fire wall, or..... lenghten the vacuum hoses and move everything towards the radiator. decisions decisions. gonna be getting one battery this week and the other next week. ill post pics when its all said and done!

Splicing the electrical would have the potential for the connection corroding at some point. That is why I mentioned running new and longer vacuum lines without spilce.

Will the stock alternator handle charging an additional battery?

Old 11-14-2011, 08:53 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

Originally Posted by gdstock
Splicing the electrical would have the potential for the connection corroding at some point. That is why I mentioned running new and longer vacuum lines without spilce.

Will the stock alternator handle charging an additional battery?
i always use connectors and heat shrink. so it will be safe for a VERY long time.

the batteries will be run in parallel, so there will not be a problem with charging. it will be like charging one big battery.

Quick Reply: dual batteries