2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cracked Dash Replacement (Busted more than Cracked)

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 09:49 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2x1972
Looks like you might have to repaint the lower dash assembly to get perfect match?

I'll paint it when I do carpet and seats. It appears to be faded from the sun. It was multi colored before, and passenger side is lighter than driver's side. I used the airbag contol cover for paint match....had to choose one of the three colors and figured that had less damage from sun.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:15 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

Ahh gotcha. Well it sounds like you are doing a good job and being thorough, keep up the good work!

Old 11-22-2011, 10:30 PM
gdstock
Legend

Lower part of dash will be easier with a small touch up spray gun. Carpet and seats out minimizes masking. Thought about pulling it all out, but lots of extra work including all the wiring, removal of steering column, etc. May even do it sooner - plenty of time off during next couple of holidays if weather permits.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:37 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

I just pulled a lower assembly out of a JY (got lucky and found a perfect one), and it only took about 45 min. The ducting is the real pain.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:24 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks great. You should call the supplier and let them know that one hole was off.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:17 PM
Obiejuankinobie
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your post. I had no issues with my dash. Until I slammed on the brakes and my Golden Retriever bounced of the front of the dash. Long crack developed. Then 6mo later a taxi hit me in 13` degrees below zero and now I have a nice size hole that looks like a pool table racking triangle.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:25 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Obiejuankinobie
Thanks for your post. I had no issues with my dash. Until I slammed on the brakes and my Golden Retriever bounced of the front of the dash. Long crack developed. Then 6mo later a taxi hit me in 13` degrees below zero and now I have a nice size hole that looks like a pool table racking triangle.
I've got a few holes like that. My dash is cracked pretty good. It had a blue carpet pad on it when I got it, got sick of it and took it off. The exposure to the sun hasn't helped much.....

Old 11-27-2011, 07:26 PM
gdstock
Legend

Obiejuankinobie, if you can glue it back together somewhat for support, a dash skin would be easier (and cheaper) to install and silicone to existing dash. Mine looked like a grenade wnet off with very little left, leaving me little option except full replacement. My greatest concern during the process was hoping not to break anything else made out of that crap plastic.

Old 12-24-2011, 12:42 PM
de8212
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great job. Looks very nice now. i'm jealous. Mine is busted up just like yours was. I have heard how hard of a job this is and I just don't know if I can do it.

Old 12-24-2011, 07:15 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by de8212
Great job. Looks very nice now. i'm jealous. Mine is busted up just like yours was. I have heard how hard of a job this is and I just don't know if I can do it.
Not really that hard. I only loosened anr rolled dash frame back. New piece fit well with no trimming required.

Quick Reply: Cracked Dash Replacement (Busted more than Cracked)