2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wtf did my sct just fry my pcm?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 11:27 PM
99dodge318
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah its weird ive changed tunes a dozen times that why I knew something was wrong.

Im gonna try to let it sit all night with the battery disconnected and try to see if the pcm reset itself.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:02 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 99dodge318
Diconnected the 3 main plugs at the computer and it does the same thing.
That makes perfect sense. No PCM, no start. Nothing's there to twiddle the coil, turn on the fuel pump, wiggle the injectors, etc.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:54 AM
99dodge318
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
That makes perfect sense. No PCM, no start. Nothing's there to twiddle the coil, turn on the fuel pump, wiggle the injectors, etc.
Yeah I also noticed the fuel pump wouldnt come on. the whole thing is the pcm wont take a tune after it failed.
Not even the factory tune.

When I turn on yhe key none of the gauges respond.

So could I get another pcm and use it?

Last edited by jasonw; 05-31-2012 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Merging double or triple posts.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:30 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 99dodge318
When I turn on yhe key none of the gauges respond.
That seems very reasonable, given that you've probably got only a partial dataset in the PCM's memory.

Ya know, now that I think on it some more, if it were mine I'd crawl my mangled old backside up under that dash with a bright flashlight, my tiniest pokey-grabby tools, and an inspection mirror and look over each and every darn conductor on both sides of the OBD-II port very, very carefully before doing anything else. Only after becoming totally satisfied that every darn connection in there is dead nuts perfect would I go any further, and my next step would be to plug in some other device like a code reader to see what happens. If it were also uncooperative, I'd bite the bullet and ring out the cabling just to be sure that I'm not dealing with a funky connection somewhere. If instead it worked, I'd try another one -- and if it worked, too, I'd call my tuner crap and hope the dealer would leave some portion of my anatomy unprobed in the quest for a PCM reflash.

That said, if after finding nothing at all weird I stabbed the tuner back in and it worked just like nuthin's nuthin, I'd be ordering up a fresh new PCM straight away. I'm real twitchy about things that might leave me stranded far from home and out in the middle of no cell phone signal on a dark and snowy night.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:02 AM
99dodge318
Record Breaker

Ive also tried to pull codes with the tuner but it just keeps popping up "error 11 (no auto connect)"

Well my rams never left me stranded before, actually its always been the rescue/recovery vehicle.

Once I get my truck back to normal I might just sell the tuner!

Well im just waiting for sct to email me the "recovery file"

So does anyone know if the compuyer out of a 01 dodge would work?

I have a job interview tomorrow and cant miss it.

Last edited by jasonw; 05-31-2012 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Merging double or triple posts.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:54 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,192 Likes on 2,945 Posts

It might run the engine, but, I think there were some electrical changes on the trans, so, you may not get TCC, or O/D.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:43 PM
99dodge318
Record Breaker

Well I got a computer for a 99 360 4x4 for free, so im gonna try it out and see if it will run my motor.

Still waiting for sct to get back with me too.

Ill post back with results.

Just finished installing the pcm from a 99 dodge 360, I had my doubts about it running right because of different threads ive been reading lately.

But it started right up, at first it reved alittle high but dropped back down with seconds. My first thought was that it sounded alot more throaty.

Took it for a test drive and I was impressed! Im used to the sct 93 octane tune, and it had nothing on this computer! I did notice there were no software update stickers on this computer,

So im probably gonna see if sct can reset my tuner so I can either flash this computer or sell it for some cash.

Oh and one more thing now I constantly have a seat belt light on, ive never had that light on, even when I didnt have a seat belt on... Oh well Ill probably just pull the bulb, I had to pull the high beam bulb when I installed the cluster cause it was always on, maybe cause the cluster is from a durango?

Well I still havent recieved a email from sct yet, im gonn send them another message to see if they will at least reiverse me for the tow home and cost of the new computer.

My sct is still locked to the other pcm, and sct wants me to pay to have it unlocked!

Last edited by jasonw; 05-31-2012 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Merging double or triple posts.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:17 AM
jacksdak
Amateur

That sucks I would have thought that they would have better customer service than that.Did you try to call them so you can complain to a real person or contact hemifever to see if he can help you out?How much do they want to unlock it?

Old 12-05-2011, 06:12 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Are you contacting SCT direct or Sean at Hemifever?

Old 12-06-2011, 10:18 AM
99dodge318
Record Breaker

Well I first contacted sean at hemifever the day all of this happened, he responded within 20 mins and told me that I had to contact sct, well I did that and they sent me a message that said they need the pcm part # and tuner serial. I sent them that info last tuesday.

Originally Posted by jacksdak
That sucks I would have thought that they would have better customer service than that.Did you try to call them so you can complain to a real person or contact hemifever to see if he can help you out?How much do they want to unlock it?
I searched for hours for at least a phone #, and came up with only a email address.

Not sure how much to unlock it, I also still have to call the dealership to see if they can re-flash my original computer.

Last edited by jasonw; 05-31-2012 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Merging double or triple posts.