2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Best programmer for my truck

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 10:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,274 Likes on 3,021 Posts

Originally Posted by dlyter09
So there is no speedo gear on the 46re that could be changed? Ive got no experience with these transmissons at all but I have always read/heard that you can change out the speedometer gear to compensate for a change in tire size/ axle gear change on other vehicles.
The 94 -97 have a gear that can be changed, the 98's might...... but, after that, nope. Tone ring and sensor.

Larger tires will have your speedo underestimating your speed by a percentage. The faster you go, the wronger it will be.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:40 PM
dlyter09
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
The 94 -97 have a gear that can be changed, the 98's might...... but, after that, nope. Tone ring and sensor.

Larger tires will have your speedo underestimating your speed by a percentage. The faster you go, the wronger it will be.
Ya learn something new everyday!!

Old 12-01-2011, 10:48 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Way wronger....?

Old 12-02-2011, 08:53 AM
wermbang
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run a Superchips 3715. Has performance, towing, and mpg tunes. I can read/erase error codes and also adjust my speedo. Have to run 91+ on the performance and towing tunes. I also got up to about 13 mpgs with the performance, over the 9-10 I get without it.
For me the Superchips is best, but if I were to be getting into some engine mods then I would go with the SCT

Old 12-02-2011, 09:18 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GiantsNiners99
ya the tires a re larger but the gears are stock
than changing the gears is going to fix all that AND give you more power and performance gains as well as better mpg than any programmer.... (and it will help your tranny life too) I'm speaking from experience with my jeep and truck.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:24 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by stewie01
This may be a stupid noob question but I've heard it answered both ways, but do larger tires throw the speedo off plus or minus 5mph or whatever it may be?
yes... changing tire size without changing the gearing to match is like changing all the gears in your transmission to a higher gear.... theres a larger load on the drivetrain which is like the power diffesrenc betwwen starting out in first gear vs second on a stick... this is also why you lose a LOT of power and torque with bigger tires and waste more fuel since your always gassing it to get out of your own way...
I couldnt even hold 75mph in my jeep in 5th gear until I changed my gears to match my 32" tires ..the difference was night and day... waay more power and better gas mileage with much less downshifting. I cant stress this enough.... wasting any money on "performance" upgrades on a truck with bigger tires without correct gearing to compensate is,...well a waste of money. people who say there truck still has plenty of power either never drove the truck stock, havent driven it in a long time or did a lot to convince themselves otherwise..

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 12-02-2011 at 09:27 AM.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:30 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by FireDodge
I have 35's with stock 3.55's. When my speedometer says I'm going 65, the GPS says I'm going 73. I think when I'm going 55 its about 60ish though.
you have no idea what kind of power and $$ your robbing yourself of with those gears... I know they are pricey but trust me its the single biggest improvement you could make. think of it like a mountain bike.... remember how much harder it was to pedal in the highest gear? now remeber how much easier it was to climb a hill in a lower gear? well your making your engine and tranny push the truck up a hill in a high gear and its tired having a hard time ... so you give it more gas...most of which goes right out the tailpipe unburnt... another analogy is trying to accelerate in 5th gear to pass a car vs downshifting to 3rd... thats why your transmission will always be downshifting and changing gears with big tires and stock gears.

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 12-02-2011 at 09:39 AM.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:42 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by gdstock
Way wronger....?
English according to HeyYou.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:50 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion

English according to HeyYou.
lol careful I caught hell for mentioning grammer on here before.. yet I seemed to get called out on it all the time myself.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:55 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
lol careful I caught hell for mentioning grammer on here before.. yet I seemed to get called out on it all the time myself.
My father was an english proffessor at the local college here for a couple decades. I am used to having my 'engrish' corrected.

Quick Reply: Best programmer for my truck