2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

changing oil pan gasket

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 09:14 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

If you have a lot of miles on your engine, replace the oil pump as well.

Dropping the pan really isn't that bad of a job. (or, maybe I just have too much practice at it.....) Last time I was in there, it took about two hours, start to finish. That was doing the job in my driveway. (at least it was nice out.....)

Old 12-05-2011, 10:05 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou

Dropping the pan really isn't that bad of a job. (or, maybe I just have too much practice at it.....) Last time I was in there, it took about two hours, start to finish. That was doing the job in my driveway. (at least it was nice out.....)
Good thread even though I'm sure there are others just like it. However, I'm considering replacing oil pump/gasket as well during plenum knock out.

Recommendations on oil pump/gasket replacements are requested. Silly question, are any deep pans kind of a no-no for clearance for offroading? I honestly have not looked at what extra depth we are talking about here, but maybe some of you cool dudes have wandered this path already.

Thanks for the thread and the piggy back.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:19 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

I went with a high volume pump, as my engine has a LOT of miles on it....... Only thing that caught me by surprise (which really shouldn't have....), was when I removed the pump from the engine..... there is OIL trapped up there. (and it tastes terrible.)

I got the fel-pro 'rubber' gasket. Went right on, no leaks. (I also did the rear main seal. That was fun....)

Old 12-05-2011, 01:31 PM
mcweaver
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 for pump and rear seal!

Old 12-05-2011, 06:07 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey at least it's a 2 piece seal. That's one of the first things I did to my truck when I got it.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:21 PM
BigBlue83
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

compared to a timing chain gasket replace how bad is it? because i just did that the job sounds easy enough going to have to wait though til next weekend. My truck just whent in the shop for a new/used axle housing. so im going to have to wait. I might as well put a new oil pump my truck has 134k

Old 12-05-2011, 08:26 PM
BigBlue83
Veteran

I went with a high volume pump, as my engine has a LOT of miles on it....... Only thing that caught me by surprise (which really shouldn't have....), was when I removed the pump from the engine..... there is OIL trapped up there. (and it tastes terrible.)

I got the fel-pro 'rubber' gasket. Went right on, no leaks. (I also did the rear main seal. That was fun....)
lol that sux man that you ate it. just the other day when i was gutting my cat i was under the truck and at some point a nice pc of rust fell into my eye. that **** was stinging so i whent to the mirror of the truck and pulled my bottom eye lid down and saw nothing right as i whent to get back under the truck i felt it again so i took another look and found the chunk of rust. that **** burned. the ****ed up part was i had on safety glasses lol. next time im using goggles!

Old 12-05-2011, 08:30 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBlue83
lol that sux man that you ate it. just the other day when i was gutting my cat i was under the truck and at some point a nice pc of rust fell into my eye. that **** was stinging so i whent to the mirror of the truck and pulled my bottom eye lid down and saw nothing right as i whent to get back under the truck i felt it again so i took another look and found the chunk of rust. that **** burned. the ****ed up part was i had on safety glasses lol. next time im using goggles!
Funny how we learn safety! I did the same thing when I splashed gas into my left eye. Burned like a SOB, damn near thought I was gonna loose my eye, or vision at least. Well, long story short, I'm all about safety now.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:48 PM
BigBlue83
Veteran

Originally Posted by J415
Funny how we learn safety! I did the same thing when I splashed gas into my left eye. Burned like a SOB, damn near thought I was gonna loose my eye, or vision at least. Well, long story short, I'm all about safety now.
lol sorry man thats funny. i learned about gasoline from a dumb friend of mine. we were drinkin and celebrating his birthday with our wives and had a fire going in the back yard. the fire went out so he poured gas from the gas can onto the embers and wooooossshhhhhh him and the gas can caught fire he ran around the yard trying to put it out mean while the gas can was on fire next to the house so i picked it up and ran far away from the house with it and chucked it. it happened right after a hurricane in september in CT so he had speedy dry in his basement we grabbed that and pourd it onto the fire and put it out. he got 2 degree burns on his leg and i lost the hair on my arm due to his stupudity. we sobbered up really quick! but got trashed again in the end lol ill never forget that night lol

Old 12-05-2011, 09:05 PM
mcweaver
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the pump and seal aren't really that bad at all. I'm guessing if you did the timing chain you won't have any problems with the pump and seal.

Quick Reply: changing oil pan gasket