2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

changing oil pan gasket

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 09:19 AM
BigBlue83
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mcweaver
the pump and seal aren't really that bad at all. I'm guessing if you did the timing chain you won't have any problems with the pump and seal.
Sweet thank you

Old 12-06-2011, 09:22 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

Yeah, the oil pan was actually less of an ordeal than the timing cover.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:06 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought the pan gasket and rear seal with every intent to do that job after timeing set and kegger mod. But it isn't leaking and I have a lot of other things that need to be done. I am hung in that "if it ain't broke - don't fix it" stage, at least for now. When I get everything else done, I will probably go ahead and do it. And as I drop the pan on the ground, I'll start wondering, "where in the hell did I put that thing?" - - - gettin' old sucks!

Old 12-07-2011, 07:02 AM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just installed a new oil pump, pickup, and oilpan and gasket on sunday. through the cold and taking a few breaks to drink some coffee and check on my kids(they were inside with my mom). i got it done in about 3-4 hours laying on my back in a dirt driveway.

you need to remove the dust cover for the transmission, as well as the starter, and the drivers side engine to transmission support.

HERE is a DIY on rear main seal replacement as well as the oil pump, with pics.

when you go to install the new pump, if you take heyyou's advice make sure you prime the pump so youre not running you engine dry when you first start it up after finishing.

i had a major oil pressure problem and recommened replacing the pump and pick-up tube as well. my pick up tube was so clogged it was sucking in the screen.

good luck with it, and hope it all goes smooth for you!

oh and in the DIY link i posted for you, it says something about dropping the y pipe, and rasing the engine to clear the front cross member.... dont worry about it, not needed. there is more than enough room to clear everything. the y pipe is a good 8-10 inches away from the pan, and there is about 5 inches of clearance on the front cross member.

if you replace your oil pan be prepared to add even more oil than normal. after i installed everything my truck now take 6.5 qts of oil compared to 5-5.5 before.

Last edited by redneck_ram; 12-07-2011 at 01:21 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:40 AM
BigBlue83
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redneck_ram
just installed a new oil pump, pickup, and oilpan and gasket on sunday. through the cold and taking a few breaks to drink some coffee and check on my kids(they were inside with my mom). i got it done in about 3-4 hours laying on my back in a dirt driveway.

you need to remove the dust cover for the transmission, as well as the starter, and the drivers side engine to transmission support.

HERE is a DIY on rear main seal replacement as well as the oil pump, with pics.

when you go to install the new pump, if you take heyyou's advice make sure you prime the pump so youre not running you engine dry when you first start it up after finishing.

i had a major oil pressure problem and recommened replacing the pump and pick-up tube as well. my pick up tube was so clogged it was sucking in the screen.

good luck with it, and hope it all goes smooth for you!

oh and in the DIY link i posted for you, it says something about dropping the y pipe, and rasing the engine to clear the front cross member.... dont worry about it, not needed. there is more than enough room to clear everything. the y pipe is a good 8-10 inches away from the pan, and there is about 5 inches of clearance on the front bumper.

if you replace your oil pan be prepared to add even more oil than normal. after i installed everything my truck now take 6.5 qts of oil compared to 5-5.5 before.
Thank very much very cool bro!

Old 12-07-2011, 01:22 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

no problem. glad i could be of serivce!

Old 12-07-2011, 06:27 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

+1 on the amount of oil. Mine takes 6.5 to 7 quarts now, after replacing the pan.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:08 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zman17
+1 on the amount of oil. Mine takes 6.5 to 7 quarts now, after replacing the pan.
Just curious but why is that? Di you guys switch out pans to aftermarket ones?

Old 12-07-2011, 07:23 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

Originally Posted by J415
Just curious but why is that? Di you guys switch out pans to aftermarket ones?
i went with the spectre pan that advance sells. its made in canada, and pretty good quality. not sure which one zman has, but its probly the same one...

Old 12-08-2011, 05:19 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I've got the same brand. And there was no mention of it being anything other than an OEM replacement. This is why I replaced it.

Name:  DSCF0622.jpg
Views: 3358
Size:  251.0 KB

Quick Reply: changing oil pan gasket