2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dodge Owner Needing Help Solving A Friend's Chevy Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011 | 09:15 AM
Gary-L
Legend

What color is the truck in question?

Old 12-08-2011 | 11:18 AM
Archion
Rookie

Yes he has replaced stuff, just proves the "mechanic" is a parts changing monkey with no idea how to go about diagnostics and is not a technician. The main reason I get parts back as "defects" is due to misdiagnosis. People just change **** until it goes away right? You still didnt answer the question, have you run it with the belt off? It also sounds a little bit like my old mustang whe I put a cold air on it. The air rushing over the sharp edge would whistle at lower rpm's. Has the owner done any mods to the intake track? CAI, TB etc. The IAC could be dirty and sticking like the Dodges do as well. It is a similar design on the GM's. It has to approached logically.

/rant

Old 12-08-2011 | 02:09 PM
ChillyPhil
|
All Star

Originally Posted by Archion
Yes he has replaced stuff, just proves the "mechanic" is a parts changing monkey with no idea how to go about diagnostics and is not a technician. The main reason I get parts back as "defects" is due to misdiagnosis. People just change **** until it goes away right? You still didnt answer the question, have you run it with the belt off? It also sounds a little bit like my old mustang whe I put a cold air on it. The air rushing over the sharp edge would whistle at lower rpm's. Has the owner done any mods to the intake track? CAI, TB etc. The IAC could be dirty and sticking like the Dodges do as well. It is a similar design on the GM's. It has to approached logically.

/rant
The truck is a gray color i guess haha. But yeah he told me about the mechanic and he sounds like a ripoff to me. But he didn't do that and he only has an exhaust on it, nothing intake as far as i know

Old 12-09-2011 | 03:05 AM
smcandrew08
Professional

Just going out on a limb but could it be a bad water pump bearing? My Camaro made a similar noise when the water pump went on her... Try pulling the belt and see if it stops or not.

Old 12-09-2011 | 04:38 PM
ChillyPhil
|
All Star

Alright, ill let him know what you guys thought. Thanks everyone!

Old 12-09-2011 | 07:30 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
What color is the truck in question?

That question is as funny as why this thread is in the Ram tech section! LOL

Old 12-10-2011 | 02:47 AM
Josh_Putman
Professional

Have your buddy check out 67-72chevytrucks.com.

They have forums for Chevy trucks for all model years, not just 67-72 like the name implies; those are just the main ones.

Old 12-10-2011 | 09:20 AM
ChillyPhil
|
All Star

Ok ill let him know about the site and yeah it is pretty funny. He figured you guys would make fun of him for his chevy.

Old 12-19-2011 | 08:16 AM
ChillyPhil
|
All Star

Ok now he wants to know if it could be the throttle body gasket going bad? Could that be an issue?

He said it wasn't the cam bearing.

Old 12-19-2011 | 09:45 AM
Gary-L
Legend

Sounds like the muffler bearings are shot.

Quick Reply: Dodge Owner Needing Help Solving A Friend's Chevy Problem