2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Heater not working very well at idle.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011 | 10:14 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

I would be afraid of blowing up the heater core...... but, given that my heat SUCKS, after doing the same flush/burp thing....... this becomes a tempting idea. I backflushed with a garden hose, but, my water pressure here sucks. I don't think that was as effective as I would have liked.

Old 12-16-2011 | 08:44 PM
trae08
|
Rookie

is using C L R better then radiator flush at the auto parts store?

Old 12-16-2011 | 08:46 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by trae08
is using C L R better then radiator flush at the auto parts store?
I don't think there is much difference between them. The radiator flush I used was just some variety of salt.... (don't remember if it was calcium, or potassium....) CLR is pretty much the same thing. Its just a descaler.

Old 12-17-2011 | 02:10 PM
trae08
|
Rookie

went to do my flush and my water hose is frozen. Damn this colorado weather...

Old 12-17-2011 | 02:44 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

went to do my flush and my water hose is frozen. Damn this colorado weather...
You're supposed to disconnect and drain your garden hoses before the weather freezes.

Howdy, Neighbor!

Old 12-17-2011 | 03:32 PM
trae08
|
Rookie

i havnt used that garden hose in months. even before the freezing weather.

i have another question though.

I used this product to clean my cooling system. and it says to draind and fill with water and add the cleaner and drive for 3-6 hours. driving can be spread across a few days. If i do that out here my system will freeze up. How should i handle this? could i add some anti freeze or what?

Old 12-17-2011 | 03:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

i havnt used that garden hose in months. even before the freezing weather.

i have another question though.

I used this product to clean my cooling system. and it says to draind and fill with water and add the cleaner and drive for 3-6 hours. driving can be spread across a few days. If i do that out here my system will freeze up. How should i handle this? could i add some anti freeze or what?
If you haven't opened it yet, get some other product. Leaving straight water in your cooling system in winter is indeed a bad plan. if you put in coolant, it will kinda defeat the purpose of the flush. (interesting chemical reaction, end result is, neither product works as they should.)

Old 12-17-2011 | 04:12 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

Get the 15 minute fast flush stuff and use it instead. It won't do as good a job, but there's no reason to risk compromising the block in the name of cleanliness.

Old 12-17-2011 | 04:32 PM
ministock6
Rookie

Does this flush say to leave it for a couple of days driving or you can. Most of them I have used say to flush system, put in cleaner fill up with water dirve for 15 min to 1/2 hour, drain system, flush with water and then refill with antifreeze. I agree with not using the one for days. if its plugged up enough for that one the heater core needs replaced anyway

Old 12-17-2011 | 04:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I used the multi-day flavor on my van. The coolant was a nice color or red..... (rust from the block.) I left in it there for a week.... flushing the old crap out of the system took a while. I suspect I need a new water pump as well, as the flow coming out the upper radiator hose with the engine running was hardly a trickle, even when the thermostat opened. Coolant is nice and clean and green now though, and the heater works a HELL of a lot better.

Quick Reply: Heater not working very well at idle.