2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.9 starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 08:54 AM
edsha1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.9 starting problems

Let me begin to thank all of you who help others out, I read alot of the reply post on other starting problems some have been having. I think this one is odd tho.
Not long ago, I was heading out and heard a loud clunk , almost like a animal was in the engine area when first start and they tryin to get out.. looked into mirrors didnt see nothing.. stopped an put some gas in went on my way. Next morning temp dropped to 22 degrees. Nothing new to me ! Went out to start truck up wouldnt start over, it would crank just not catch. Check distributor, notice the black scaring from starting, cleaned that off, check rotor button, same thing,, cleaned that off, check ignition coil, looked cleaned, cleaned it anyways. Tried to start, nothing. As the Temperature got warmer, think it was 40 out, truck started. Took fiance to work, came home, shut it down, waited like 30 secs, started backup. About 2pm had to go back out, went out to start truck,,nothing! I finally took my little heater, put it inside the engine compartment, let it sit for 10 mins or so, tried starting, it started. Got back, shut it down,waited a few and it started. Checked it the evening, it started,come morning nothing. Put heater back inside, waited 5 mins, truck started. Now, it doesnt matter if I use heater, truck wont start. Have a few ideas that I got from you all, just tying to narrow it down. Odd thing is, no trouble codes !!
Could use any help you might have.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:48 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,387 Likes on 3,127 Posts

Last time I saw an issue that started out that way, the PCM was bad......

Old 12-16-2011, 10:03 AM
edsha1

any way of checking to see if it is ?

Old 12-16-2011, 10:05 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Grab a PCM from a similar truck from the junk yard. Swap it in, see if the problem goes away. If it does, get it flashed for your truck.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:32 AM
edsha1

The Dealers are the only ones that can flash it correct?
And I would need vin# for truck to match?

Old 12-16-2011, 11:17 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

You might be able to find an indie shop that has the ability to reflash the PCM. Not sure if they could reset the vin for it though.... call around, see what you can find out. The dealer most certainly has the ability, whether they WILL or not remains to be seen, some of them get picky about where you got your PCM from, and will only reflash PCM you buy from them. (for half of what the truck is worth......)

Yep, VIN in PCM needs to match the truck. Makes things friendlier that way.

Old 12-25-2011, 10:42 PM
wardom32

When my 5.9 wasn't starting, and it was stalling when it was idling I had to replace the distributed and the crank sensor, now it runs fine. Good luck!

Old 12-26-2011, 12:25 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder if OP got this fixed and if so what the problem turned out to be.......

Old 12-29-2011, 06:39 PM
edsha1

well, seems that a total tune-up did the trick, replaced cap,button, plugs and wires. Starts every time, but have yet to drive. still need to replace tie-rods and do brakes. Want to thank all for some interesting advise, just glad it was a simple task.

Quick Reply: 5.9 starting problems