2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Oil leak Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 04:31 PM
97ramrod1500
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil leak Help!

so i just did the plenum fix on my truck and now it leaks oil. The oil is dripping off of the transmission pan and the belhousing where it bolts up to the motor. I'm thinking its leaking off the back of the plenum gasket and going down the back of the motor and transmission. I did put all new seals on when i did the repair. The only thing i didn't replace was the coolant bypass hose (and thats NOT leaking !)

Has anyone else expirienced this? any help would be great!

Old 12-18-2011, 04:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,382 Likes on 3,122 Posts

There are some little holes in the block, and '****' on the seal, that go into those holes. Helps hold the seal in place. If you didn't get the holes cleaned out good, the seal won't sit in place, and can push out, giving you a leak..... grab a mirror, and bright flashlight, and look around back there, see if you can find where it is coming from. Keep in mind, the oil pressure sensor is back there as well, and if that got tweaked, it can puke a boatload of oil pretty quickly.

Old 12-18-2011, 04:54 PM
97ramrod1500
Captain

ok. i definitely remember cleaning the holes on the front seal, but i don't really remember if i did the rear one. I'll have to check. also isn't the oil pressure sensor on the front of the plenum and has one wire to it? i think the color was yellow/black

Old 12-18-2011, 05:33 PM
97ramrod1500
Captain

so i just took a light and mirror and looked behind the plenum and the seal did slip out of place. do i just take the plenum out agian and put the seal in place? can i reuse the seal?

Old 12-18-2011, 05:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by 97ramrod1500
so i just took a light and mirror and looked behind the plenum and the seal did slip out of place. do i just take the plenum out agian and put the seal in place? can i reuse the seal?
Oil pressure sensor is just to the passenger side of the distributor, in the back. Your truck has two coolant temp sensors, one on either side of the thermostat housing. (one for gauge in the dash, one for the PCM, PCM gets the two wire feller.) The single wire sensor that screws into the passenger side of the keg itself, is intake air temp sensor. (IAT)

Buy a new intake gasket set. You cannot reuse the intake/head gaskets, and the set will come with new end seals. You will also need new intake bolts, as it isn't recommended to re-use the torque to yield fellers.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:07 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 97ramrod1500
being lazy - i'd try this...
remove air filter and as much other clutter as possible, maybe dist cap.
spray the back of the block and intake with brake clean and get it as clean as possible.
cut any protruding rubber seal out of the way.
using a finger, or craft stick or putty knife, fill the intake gap/seal with high temp rtv. go all the way across the back.
allow about 24 hours for it to set. then put on another big fat coat, and smear it out in a wide pattern onto the block and intake. let dry.

try it and see if it works. if it does, you save redoing the whole thing. if it doesn't then all it cost was a couple of days and $10 worth of rtv.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:19 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
being lazy - i'd try this...
remove air filter and as much other clutter as possible, maybe dist cap.
spray the back of the block and intake with brake clean and get it as clean as possible.
cut any protruding rubber seal out of the way.
using a finger, or craft stick or putty knife, fill the intake gap/seal with high temp rtv. go all the way across the back.
allow about 24 hours for it to set. then put on another big fat coat, and smear it out in a wide pattern onto the block and intake. let dry.

try it and see if it works. if it does, you save redoing the whole thing. if it doesn't then all it cost was a couple of days and $10 worth of rtv.
+1 on this. I would give it a shot.

Now I am really glad that I took the time to really clean out those holes for the rear dowel gasket. Took about 15 mins with a 1/32 inch drill bit.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:19 PM
97ramrod1500
Captain

I thought I cleaned them out. I just used a small flathead screwdriver. I must've missed the one. being how I am im going to take it back apart and do it the right way. The last thing I want is future problems from cheating now.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:42 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good plan. I often learn from boo-boos.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:04 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by gdstock
Good plan. I often learn from boo-boos.

Ain't that the way of things though? Personally, I think you learn more from making a mistake of this nature, than you do reading about someone else's trouble. I have made more than a couple boo-boos in my time........ fortunately, not many of them were hideously expensive.

Quick Reply: Oil leak Help!