2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How do i remove the wire clips on the valve covers ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 12:27 AM
candymancan
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do i remove the wire clips on the valve covers ?

So i replaced my old wires and spark plugs on my 5.9 v8, and within 100 miles i checked them all and like the old plugs #7 was coverd in fresh oil on the outside, on the little metal washer thing, and all over the threads top to bottom.

Looking on the side of the valve cover its leaking oil down the block and into those anoying metal tubes that are where the plug holes are, and i guess oil is leaking through the threads and into the cylinder, #7 cylinder is really nasty looking compared to the rest. All my piston heads are like grey baked on i havent been able to clean them, but #7 is like BLACK Black grimey

So im getting some new valve cover gasket, but i need to know how do i remove the spark plug wire clips on the valve cover bolts without breaking them ? I tried pulling one but it broke the bottom clip of the 3 on it. None of the store around here sell these kind of clips so i want to salvage them. Oh and also what do i need to insulate spark plug wires so they dont get scorching hot being near the valve cover/exhaust manifold. I tried the convolute tubing chrysler mentioned but that stuff just melts and stinks as its basicly plastic.

Im also going to be replacing the cap and rotor, when i take the cap off. Is there anything special to removing the rotor ? Like do i have to mark stuff, or is the rotor like the Jeep 4.0 engines just pops off and the new one pops in place.

Last edited by candymancan; 12-25-2011 at 12:47 AM.
Old 12-25-2011, 12:51 AM
DodgeLooney00
Rookie

Damn. That washer on your sparkplugs shoud be a tight seal, to the point oil cant seep through... If I were you, I would check Ebay or the local dodge dealerships for the clips, as for the insulation have you tried aluminum tape? As for the cap and rotor, yes it just pulls right off.

Old 12-25-2011, 01:11 AM
chadhager03
Captain

I just pryed (spelling?) them from the bottom with a small flathead while pulling up. Came off nicely. And I ended up not needing them all somehow

Old 12-25-2011, 01:22 AM
candymancan
Veteran

Originally Posted by DodgeLooney00
Damn. That washer on your sparkplugs shoud be a tight seal, to the point oil cant seep through... If I were you, I would check Ebay or the local dodge dealerships for the clips, as for the insulation have you tried aluminum tape? As for the cap and rotor, yes it just pulls right off.

Thats what i was thinking, but if i take the plug off and wiggle the washer thing it has tons of oil on top and the bottom of it.. Oil is getting through it somehow.. I also cant seem to clean the tube of dust and rocks with air cans like i can the others because the oil is covering all the sand and stuff so it just sitting there. and i cant get down there to wipe it off thanks to those stupid metal tubes.

This an old pic of the original plug i took awhile back, you cant see the oil on the threads but see it all over the washer ? within less than 100 miles my new plugs threads and washer looked like this coverd in oil.

http://s1083.photobucket.com/albums/...t=IMAG0164.jpg

Old 12-25-2011, 01:37 AM
DodgeLooney00
Rookie

Originally Posted by candymancan
Thats what i was thinking, but if i take the plug off and wiggle the washer thing it has tons of oil on top and the bottom of it.. Oil is getting through it somehow.. I also cant seem to clean the tube of dust and rocks with air cans like i can the others because the oil is covering all the sand and stuff so it just sitting there. and i cant get down there to wipe it off thanks to those stupid metal tubes.

This an old pic of the original plug i took awhile back, you cant see the oil on the threads but see it all over the washer ? within less than 100 miles my new plugs threads and washer looked like this coverd in oil.

http://s1083.photobucket.com/albums/...t=IMAG0164.jpg
The only thing I can think is happening, is because the oil is pooling in there, when the block expands due to heat, the oil is seeping down the threads... If you use a pair of channel lock pliers, you can remove the air gap tubes without damaging them so you can get a better look, and clean off #7. Other then that, it might be a crack in the head somewhere...

Old 12-25-2011, 02:14 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So im getting some new valve cover gasket, but i need to know how do i remove the spark plug wire clips on the valve cover bolts without breaking them ?
Soak 'em with a silicone spray and if that doesn't do it they're just too darned old. Plastics don't last forever.

Im also going to be replacing the cap and rotor, when i take the cap off. Is there anything special to removing the rotor ? Like do i have to mark stuff, or is the rotor like the Jeep 4.0 engines just pops off and the new one pops in place.
Just pull straight up. When you put the new one on, align the tab inside the rotor and the slot on the drive. Nuthin' to it but to do it. Just make sure the new rotor is fully seated so it doesn't chew up terminals in the cap.

Old 12-25-2011, 10:28 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Oil pooling around the plugs prolly smears itself around the threads when you pull 'em. It isn't necessarily leaking down there. (if oil could leak IN, then compression could leak OUT.)

Old 12-25-2011, 10:49 AM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Oil pooling around the plugs prolly smears itself around the threads when you pull 'em. It isn't necessarily leaking down there. (if oil could leak IN, then compression could leak OUT.)

Old 12-25-2011, 11:17 AM
DodgeLooney00
Rookie

My thoughts exactly, so that means the fouling in that cylinder is coming from elsewhere... valve seals?

Old 12-25-2011, 11:38 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Originally Posted by DodgeLooney00
My thoughts exactly, so that means the fouling in that cylinder is coming from elsewhere... valve seals?
Valve seals, or rings...... Do a dry/wet compression test. See what the numbers look like.

Quick Reply: How do i remove the wire clips on the valve covers ?