2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Getting closer to lift... need some final questions answered!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 12:03 AM
Racer26
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting closer to lift... need some final questions answered!

I have an 01 Ram 1500 V6 2WD regular cab that I am getting ready to lift. I just got my 4.88's installed along with a locker, and now am getting ready to purchase the lift.

I have been thinking of going with the 6.5" Fabtech suspension lift, a 3" body lift, and then maybe adding a 3" spacer to the front with the appropriate rear block at a later date.

>What all do I need to do to the driveshaft? I assume lengthen, but how will the angle be corrected?

>Do I need a drop pitman arm? If so, how long?

>I have a Rancho subframe left over from a 4" lift I had previously. Would there be any advantage to adding this in, and would it work with the Fabtech lift?

>Is there a lift kit taller or better than the Fabtech lift that would keep me at a budget of around or under $1500?

>Would running 37s have any adverse effects over running 35s? I understand I might wear out ball joints, etc faster, but will a tire like this cause any major harm?

Thanks for your help! I am really excited to hopefully get my truck lifted in the near future!

Old 12-30-2011, 01:05 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 12-30-2011, 01:26 AM
mccart
Veteran

That v6 will have trouble turnin 35s or 37s. Def with all that lift. Just curious, what is the point lifting a 2wd?

Old 12-30-2011, 01:37 AM
97tn4x4
Record Breaker

Id do the 6.5'" lift with the 35's. That' be all i'd do cause that v6 is not gonna like hauling those 37's. The 35's and 4.88's won' be that bad. On a side note, i dont think it would be wise to do a 6.5" lift then throw a 3" spacer on top of that cause you 2wd fellars dont have the wiggle room use 4wd's have. When those control arms are running maxed out, you can bet you're gonna get good at swapping balljoints lol.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:33 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Not to mention the pants-filling experience of breaking an over-extended ball-joint.........

Do not mix and match lift parts from different manufacturers. You are asking for trouble that way. Same goes for spacers on top of lift springs. 99% of lift manufacturers tell you specifically NOT to do that, and if you do, any warranty you may have had (including liability....) goes right out the window.

Rear blocks may be machined to correct pinion angle. (they should come that way.....)

May or may not need a longer driveshaft. Depends on the kit. That would be a question for the folks that made the lift.

The v-6 will struggle even with 35" tires.... 37's would make the truck darn near undriveable. Not to mention the stock 42RE trans is going to HATE either size....... Hang on to some money, as I see a trans rebuild in your future....... (and fairly near future at that.....)

How do you plan to use the truck? Would you be better off with a 4x4, with a v-8? (and please don't use fuel economy to justify the little engine..... if you break into double digits with that setup, you will be doing pretty good.)

Old 12-30-2011, 10:26 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It would be much much wiser to buy another truck more suited for what you want.(And dont even say you cant afford one as all the stuff you plan to do will cost a lot and more in upkeep)... even if its just for looks and you want 2wd I'd at least go with an older solid axle setup with a v8 if your is the newer IFS setup..The one you have is simply all wrong for the task. I dumped lot of money into a 4 banger jeep when I was a kid, and it really ended up eating me up that I didnt hold out for a 4.0 jeep to start with...In the case of what I did or you want to do its like trying to polish a turd..

"You'll shoot your eye out kid"

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 12-30-2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:11 PM
Racer26
Rookie

Thanks everyone for the replies. They have really made think about which direction I want to take this.

First of all, I forgot to mention I have the 5 speed manual. I'm not saying that I don't think the truck would struggle with the 35s or 37s, but it seems that having the manual would help as you don't lose torque through the torque converter, etc.

I agree that I should just save up for a better suited truck, which I am currently doing, but for the meantime (1 yr+), I have been wanting to do some type of lift kit.

I have decided to just go with the 35's, but what lift do you think would be a better option:

6.5" Fabtech Lift (Lift coils, lift spindles, upper control arms, rear blocks, shocks)

OR

4" Rancho Lift (Lift coils, lift spindles, drop subframe, rear blocks, shocks)

Would I really notice the 2.5" difference?

Old 12-30-2011, 10:16 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have an eye for detail you'd probably notice the 2.5" difference. But even if you wanted to go off-road the 4" should be fine, plus you should see a little more ground clearance with the larger tires too.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:37 PM
mstephen89
Captain

i hate lifted 4x2's, lol i thought about leveling my 4x2 when i first got it, then i slapped myself! what was i thinking. your going to ruin the ride quality and its still a 4x2. you should do some sort of 4x4 conversion with solid axle leaf sprung axle. now that would be neat

Old 12-30-2011, 10:52 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
It would be much much wiser to buy another truck more suited for what you want.(And dont even say you cant afford one as all the stuff you plan to do will cost a lot and more in upkeep)... even if its just for looks and you want 2wd I'd at least go with an older solid axle setup with a v8 if your is the newer IFS setup..The one you have is simply all wrong for the task. I dumped lot of money into a 4 banger jeep when I was a kid, and it really ended up eating me up that I didnt hold out for a 4.0 jeep to start with...In the case of what I did or you want to do its like trying to polish a turd..

"You'll shoot your eye out kid"

And did you consider that a 6 cyl with that lift will most likely NOT be easy to sell when you get ready to buy another one? Save up and buy one that will be what you really want and that makes sense to lift. The excessive repair bills on this one will impair you savings ability.

And can you get TURDle Wax?

Quick Reply: Getting closer to lift... need some final questions answered!