2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Low end knock question

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 01:18 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

That was the NEW pump????? Holy smoke. Is it seized up?

Bearings are worn. Pitch 'em. That way, you won't be tempted to re-use them. Clearances for those are going to be much to wide to be of any real use.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:41 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I bet you could put new bearings in and be fine for quite a while.

Old 01-15-2012, 02:05 PM
Tparkin
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
That was the NEW pump????? Holy smoke. Is it seized up?

Bearings are worn. Pitch 'em. That way, you won't be tempted to re-use them. Clearances for those are going to be much to wide to be of any real use.
Yeah, new pump. It seemed to work fine when I primed it but apparently seized up when it had to do real work. The input shaft won't spin at all now. It's getting returned to Advance tomorrow.

Sarcasm was implied with my bearing comment...no way they are of any use. I've replaced bearings before and haven't seen nearly all of them worn that much.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:22 PM
Tparkin
Professional

question about my upcoming engine swap...will the 5.9 stock exhaust manifolds bolt up to my existing exhaust (Y pipe?) from the 3.9 set up?...or will I need to replace the exhaust?

On a related note...If I go with aftermarket headers, I assume they typically bolt right up to the factory Y pipe?

Old 01-17-2012, 06:23 PM
Tparkin
Professional

^^

Finally got a call back from the State Inspections folks...even though I already pulled the trigger on purchasing the 5.9. The inspector said I would need to get a dealership to reflash the new PCM so that it contained my original VIN. One dealer said that it was impossible to do when going from a 3.9 to a 5.9, the other dealer said I would need to purchase a whole new PCM and then pay them $80 to flash it. They proceeded to tell me that the PCM's are "locked" and the vin cannot be changed, even though the inspector said he sees it done frequently. The inspector offered me a possible solution; apply for an 'NCM' number which is basically a replacement VIN, issues by the State, to replace my mismatched VIN. The catch 22 is that I have to get the new engine installed and running and let them look at it to decide its fate.

I guess worse case, I'll be buying a new PCM...hopefully plan B will work out. Of course, I've got to get 'er runnin' first!

Quick Reply: Low end knock question