2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Low end knock question

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 10:42 PM
Tparkin
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking that's going to have to happen. Thanks for all of the help Hey You, among others. At this point, I guess I have a few options...I just need some help choosing the one that makes the most sense...

1. Rebuild my 3.9; new crank, main bearings, etc. Have the heads reworked.

2. Swap in a 318 w/ ECM/harness. As I understand it, I can use my existing radiator and trans. Motor mounts should be the same...? Will I need a new fan shroud due to the extra length? Does the PCM need to swapped too?

3. Swap in a 360 w/ ECM/harness. Same questions as above...I think the 360 will bolt up to my trans (42RE??). I know that's not a preferred trans for the 360 but it will get me by for the short haul, correct?

The motor will need to be pulled either way. I figure if I'm going through the trouble I might as well get some power out of it since the 3.9 is pretty weak. Is my thinking correct? This truck is structurally in excellent shape so I don't want to sell it to buy a V8 truck. What would you guys do?

Old 01-14-2012, 11:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Your trans won't survive long behind a v-8... see if you can find one of those too.... (46RE)

Either V-8 should be pretty much a drop in. As I understand it, the 3.9 is a 5.9 minus two cylinders.... or some such. Might have to move the engine mounts, but, not sure on that....

Need PCM, and harness. Your PCM will be clueless about the additional two cylinders.

Cheapest and easiest would be just replacing the six...... but, I understand the desire to upgrade. Not much of a mileage difference between the 8's..... take your pick.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:07 PM
Tparkin
Professional

So, the ECM is attached to the block and the PCM is on the firewall, correct? Both will be needed from the donor 5.9 right? I was told i would get everything to make a running engine for the quoted price so i should be good there.

What needs to be considered with the flexplate? I've read some things about differences is weighting/balancing...and balanced TC's vs. weighted flexplates.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:36 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Tparkin
So, the ECM is attached to the block and the PCM is on the firewall, correct? Both will be needed from the donor 5.9 right? I was told i would get everything to make a running engine for the quoted price so i should be good there.

What needs to be considered with the flexplate? I've read some things about differences is weighting/balancing...and balanced TC's vs. weighted flexplates.
ECM/PCM are the same thing. Just different names. Used to be, only the engine was computer controlled, so, "Engine Control Module", then, with electronic transmissions, it became "Powertrain Control Module". You need the right one for the engine you get.

5.2 is internal balance, 5.9 is external balance. In the early years, balance weights for the 5.9 were on the torque converter, later, they used a different flex plate. Just make sure your flex plate and t/c match years.....

Old 01-15-2012, 08:49 AM
Tparkin
Professional

ok, thanks.

So if I'm swapping an '01 3.9 with an '01 5.9 I should be good as far as weights/balancing right?

Old 01-15-2012, 09:41 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yep. You should still get the meaner trans though. The 42 won't live long behind the 5.9.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:49 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I've read the last 2 pages. Seems like you are set in doing the engine swap (v6 --> v8). I've got no input adding guidance to that. Questions though and maybe you've already got it figured or still brainstorming.

Are you doing the swap like now? (I understand you have line on a motor and awaiting DMV response. Let's assume the DMV plays nice)

Or are you planning to run the v6 till it tanks since you've already convinced yourself to do a swap?

Old 01-15-2012, 09:57 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
I've read the last 2 pages. Seems like you are set in doing the engine swap (v6 --> v8). I've got no input adding guidance to that. Questions though and maybe you've already got it figured or still brainstorming.

Are you doing the swap like now? (I understand you have line on a motor and awaiting DMV response. Let's assume the DMV plays nice)

Or are you planning to run the v6 till it tanks since you've already convinced yourself to do a swap?
The six no longer produces oil pressure, so, it would be rather short drive before it finally gave up the ghost.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:11 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tparkin
I don't have anything to gauge the movement but I can assure you it is more than what the spec in the FSM shows (.006-.014") I just don't know if its worth tearing back down to figure the oil pressure thing out with the apparent crank issue. I would be fixing oil pressure and potentially still have a motor issue.

Um....yes, I promise I filled it with oil first. I started it a few times and let it idle for a minute or two each time...the last time I let it run for several minutes and the pressure never moved off of zero. It did sound like my old Powerstroke Diesel though...so, that was kinda cool.
Originally Posted by HeyYou
The six no longer produces oil pressure, so, it would be rather short drive before it finally gave up the ghost.
Lolz, I failed at registering that. I read it, but no regi-stra-to.

Hope you got a warm place to swap if its this time.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:14 PM
Tparkin
Professional

Here's the culprit for my oil pressure problem...new pump has several cracks around the input shaft. Put the old pump back in and she's back up and running.

Also posting a pic of the old rod bearings...I'm thinking about hanging on to them since they are in pretty good shape!

Still going to do the 360 swap though. She's still got a slight knock at higher rpm's, I'm sure its due to the side slop on that #4 journal on the crank. Can't hear it anymore under normal driving, just if i romp on the gas. At least now I have some time to get the v8 like I want it and plan ahead a little more....I can drive this beotch til it blows now!

Quick Reply: Low end knock question