2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cracked Dash. My turn.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 10:50 PM
soloflite
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The cluster is the guages.. the steering wheel and rack are not removed, just pull the 10 mm nuts holding it up and allow it to lay on the seat. The dash rests on the two nolts its hinged on and will suppot it

Old 01-13-2012, 10:57 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I only loosened the two bolts under the kcik panel and pulled dash unit back and toward seat. I just let the steering wheel rest on the seat.

Did you pull the battery cable?

There rteally isn't an easy way for the air ducts. Gotta reach around and out them where the belong as you put everyti=hing in place. I used double back foam tape.

As you rock it into place, be cautious as you may have to mark and trim front edge of dash panel if it does not fit to windshiled well enough.

I also added some 1 1/2" foam rubber across the dash underneath to make sure there wasn't any squeaking from it later. There was 2 smaller pieces of foam under there that had deteriorated. I used one long piece, cut to fit....snug.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:09 PM
de8212
Professional

thanks gd. Yes, battery is completely unplugged.

I know I saw someone on a thread mention an easy way to do the ducts. I wish I would have bookmarked it.

No double foam tape here.

Hopefully it will all go well tomorrow. If you think of anything else please reply here. I will check my email periodically.

Old 01-14-2012, 03:07 PM
de8212
Professional

Done. I'll post more later but it's in and looks great!

Old 01-14-2012, 05:26 PM
mstephen89
Captain

any problems, that you ran into? pics...I want pics. only a couple more weeks till I get mine, I cannot wait. Damn ex-employer is taking forever to send me my W-2

Old 01-14-2012, 08:46 PM
de8212
Professional

Not a ton of problems. Trying to think now. Everything came off easy. When the side ducts came off with the old dash I thought that would be a chore but it wasn't. I just connected the drivers side to the new dash when it was out of the truck and did the passenger side when it was laid in there. No problems. Actually had a scary moment when I tried to fit the dash inside. Since I didn't remove a pillars it was a tight fit a first.

Installation was easy except for the vent screws that come in from the windsheild side. Those were a bit tricky. I think there are 8 screws/washers that come with the new dash (instead of reusing the old screws) and two more for the metal supports. I got most in except for maybe 2 or three vent screws. Didn't seem to affect the vents/dash in the least. It really helped to have someone on the outside of the truck shining a flashlight inside while I held a mirror and put the screws in.

I thought I had a good idea removing the PRN12D cable. I marked the little **** with a sharpie and counted the turns so I'd know how to set it back up. Didn't work. Orange line was pretty far off. So, don't reinstall that panel until you check it. Only took a couple of turns to get it right.

Only issue is cup holder. I took it out the other day just to clean it and reinstalled. Now, the top of it scrapes the new bezel when I pull it down. Scared it will crack the new bezel so it looks like I'm leaving it down permenantly. Not sure what is off??????

Other than that, it looks great. I did take a few pics but only of the final product. I can try and upload later but it's really nothing you haven't seen.

total time was maybe 3.5 hours. I did 90% by myself and I am not good with this type of thing. Well worth it in the end.

If I think of something else I'll post later. Any specific questions, just ask.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:51 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Didn't happen to replace the heater core while you were right there did ya??

Old 01-14-2012, 08:56 PM
de8212
Professional

nope. haven't had issues with it and figured I was already into this pretty deep. Honestly, if I had to pull it back out I could do it in 1/2 the time.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:27 PM
mstephen89
Captain

so overall, would you recommend the dash and bezel that you got from LMC truck, and did you buy the support kit(or whatever its called), and do you recommend that?
also how did the color of the dash match your truck?

Old 01-14-2012, 10:40 PM
de8212
Professional

Yes to all your questions. I can't comment too much on the color because I did the work in the garage under poor lighting so it was hard to see. I pulled it out after it was done and the sun was so bright I couldn't really tell a difference. I did take a few pics and will try and upload them tomorrow. maybe you can tell in them.

Oh, the reinforcement kit installed fine. I can't say it was worth it yet. I imagine you could get the same effect with some washers???? I just ordered it on a whim. I really didn't know what it was.

And the only other thing I didn't mention is I am sore, very sore.

Oh, I also got the 303 protectant. go ahead and get it.

Quick Reply: Cracked Dash. My turn.