2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

NVG 3500 Transmission issue...4th only

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 06:02 PM
safrantz
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm uploading a video of the transmission... I got the bright idea of putting my cell phone under my truck to record video of what's going on... since I do not want to put anyone in danger or myself by being under the truck while trying to it in gear! Will post link shortly... (posting video links are allowed...yes?)

Old 01-08-2012, 06:16 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by safrantz
Hello all - brand new to the forum, I hope I have this in the correct location to prevent any moving/deleting of this post!

I just bought a 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT V8 yesterday. Got it off craigslist, I knew it had transmission problems...busted driver side window...amongst other things... Here's the disclaimer... I've never....never... worked on a vehicle before... you could probably say the most in depth I've ever worked on a vehicle is swapping out a aftermarket radio for another... e.g. the dash kit and harness were already installed! Big whoop, I know... So please bare with me, I love to learn and I usually jump right in... sometimes without a parachute!

The problem I have is that the truck only seems to move in 4th gear... I found this in my research before posting...

I grabbed this from https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...is-charts.html

Anyways, I'm not sure if this would correctly diagnose my issue or not... does the "Noisy operation in fourth gear only" mean that the vehicle only drives in 4th, like my situation, or is it that 1-3,5,R work just fine, but 4th just seems to be special?

Also, I had a couple friends try to get it in gear and they also can only move in forth from a parked position... 1, 2, 3, 5, R do not seem to do anything... no noise... nothing... I guess there could be some noise, but it has been explained to me that "it's grabbing nothing."

I can provide any pictures/video necessary to try and diagnose the issue... The guy I bought it from said that the transmission most likely needs to be rebuilt/replaced... I'm game for that as well, I have zero fear... I just may not have the space to do it, I'll figure it out one way or another, I'd like to make it happen with y'alls help!

I appreciate everything in advance.

Scott
The best thing to do would be download the factory service manual here https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0B0EBf...nload&hl=en_US (click on download anyways)
Read whats involved in removeing and rebuilding it and decide what you are willing to try.

Dave

Old 01-08-2012, 06:46 PM
safrantz
Professional
Default nv 3500 video in action...

http://youtu.be/HoSeE22wwzw here's the link to my NV3500 transmission in action... warning, please have your speakers/subwoofer down, my phone picked up a lot and it may be louder than you want to hear...

Old 01-08-2012, 07:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Trans is toast, replace it.

Like the exhaust though.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:55 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Video doesn't change my opinion, something related to the countershaft is toast.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:05 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

If you have a NV3500 transmission, like the earlier post had writen. The automatic transmission diag test will not help. And yes 4th gear is a direct gear for the NV3500 transmission. I would say to check the fluid level first and if that is full, it maybe time for a tear down and inspect.

TRANSMISSION NOISE
Most manual transmissions make some noise during normal operation. Rotating gears can generate a mild whine that may only be audible at extreme speeds.

Severe, obviously audible transmission noise is generally the result of a lubricant problem. Insufficient, improper, or contaminated lubricant can promote rapid wear of gears, synchros, shift rails, forks and bearings. The overheating caused by a lubricant problem, can also lead to gear breakage.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:42 PM
safrantz
Professional

Hahaha @ HeyYou, I like it too... I have a modification in mind for it prior to replacing the pipe... as it's cracked all over the place upon further inspection... I want to see if I can fabricate a two pipe system.... one that is a straight pipe for the louder effect, but then a switch/check valve to switch it over to a muffler... only reason being is I like to be loud when its acceptable (acceptable in my mind is out on the road...or open areas...) living in a complex, I have a lot of soliders that sleep during the day and I don't want to be the guy that everyone dislikes due to the noise... Not sure if a fabrication of that nature is possible or not.. but hey, if I'm going to replace the pipe anyways... why not try?

Hahns5.2 - countershaft? I'll look into that on my service/parts manual to see where that is...

I had another friend say it could be the synchro bearing...?

I'm essentially polling everyones suggestions prior to me taking it in a transmission shop (non-chain...more like a mom and pops store to get the best deal...hopefully) and/or find one in a salvage yard...

Thanks for the posts, I'm encouraged by the responses, regardless of the outcome. I appreciate the time everyone is taking!

Old 01-09-2012, 08:49 PM
safrantz
Professional

Oh yeah, forgot to post this picture... when I took off the shifter boot/gasket... I could see directly into... a pan... or retainer for fluid... I'm going to take a wild guess and say that either I'm missing a plate on the transmission... or someone has already cracked this thing open and just didn't put it back together...? Thoughts?

https://plus.google.com/photos/10699...CJTiwpXItqSUSg

Old 01-09-2012, 09:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Tells me I don't have permission to view the photo.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:41 PM
safrantz
Professional

Changed the sharing permissions... try again... sorry.

Quick Reply: NVG 3500 Transmission issue...4th only