2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

NVG 3500 Transmission issue...4th only

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 08:22 PM
safrantz
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NVG 3500 Transmission issue...4th only

Hello all - brand new to the forum, I hope I have this in the correct location to prevent any moving/deleting of this post!

I just bought a 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT V8 yesterday. Got it off craigslist, I knew it had transmission problems...busted driver side window...amongst other things... Here's the disclaimer... I've never....never... worked on a vehicle before... you could probably say the most in depth I've ever worked on a vehicle is swapping out a aftermarket radio for another... e.g. the dash kit and harness were already installed! Big whoop, I know... So please bare with me, I love to learn and I usually jump right in... sometimes without a parachute!

The problem I have is that the truck only seems to move in 4th gear... I found this in my research before posting...

"NOISY OPERATION IN FOURTH GEAR ONLY
1. Overdrive Clutch Discs, Plates or Snap Rings Damaged. 1. Remove unit and rebuild clutch pack.
2. Overdrive Piston or Planetary Thrust Bearing Damaged. 2. Remove and disassemble unit. Replace either thrust bearing if damaged.
3. Output Shaft Bearings Scored/Damaged. 3. Remove and disassemble unit. Replace either bearing if damaged.
4. Planetary Gears Worn/Chipped. 4. Remove and overhaul overdrive unit.
5. Overdrive Unit Overrunning Clutch Rollers Worn/Scored. 5. Remove and overhaul overdrive unit."
I grabbed this from https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...is-charts.html

Anyways, I'm not sure if this would correctly diagnose my issue or not... does the "Noisy operation in fourth gear only" mean that the vehicle only drives in 4th, like my situation, or is it that 1-3,5,R work just fine, but 4th just seems to be special?

Also, I had a couple friends try to get it in gear and they also can only move in forth from a parked position... 1, 2, 3, 5, R do not seem to do anything... no noise... nothing... I guess there could be some noise, but it has been explained to me that "it's grabbing nothing."

I can provide any pictures/video necessary to try and diagnose the issue... The guy I bought it from said that the transmission most likely needs to be rebuilt/replaced... I'm game for that as well, I have zero fear... I just may not have the space to do it, I'll figure it out one way or another, I'd like to make it happen with y'alls help!

I appreciate everything in advance.

Scott

Old 01-06-2012, 08:57 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That troubleshooting list applies to automatic trannys, totally different animal.

4th gear is direct, it's a straight connection from the input to output so it does not use the countershaft, it's possible there's a problem relating to the countershaft or something wrong with the shift rail assembly or shift forks. Hard to say without splitting it open. These trannys are considered very difficult to rebuild and require special tools, may be better off getting a new/junkyard tranny.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:14 PM
mrfarrell
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so you can shift in to other gears but it feels like theres nothing there?either situation the transmission needs to be pulled..id recommend upgrading to a nv4500 there more stout and easier and cheaper to find..

Old 01-06-2012, 09:56 PM
mccart
Veteran

That tranny is shot, get a junkyard one or have it rebuilt. Rebuild should cost about 900. You can get a nv3500 for about 800 but then you're doing all the work.

Mrfarrel
Nv 4500s are harder to find around here. And more expensive everywhere

Old 01-06-2012, 10:52 PM
safrantz
Professional

Hmm.. seems the concensus is that the transmission is unworthy! In anyone's opinion, would it be okay if I try to pull it and disassemble/reassemble the transmission and if...more like when... I fail, I can take it to a transmission shop or... would you all advise that I not potentially create more issues than I have already?

I bought the truck to learn... That's really the reasoning behind having it at all... anyone have suggestions for repair shops or even large chain shops that may be willing to have me help/watch what they do to learn?

Thanks for the replies Hahns5.2, mrfarrell, and mccart!

Old 01-06-2012, 11:00 PM
mccart
Veteran

You have to have special tools to split a 3500 open. And rebuilding it isn't an easy task by any means. If you go the rebuild route maybe you could pull the tranny if you want and take it somewhere. Or just have them do it

Old 01-07-2012, 12:06 AM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Splitting the tranny yourself is unlikely to damage it further, it will just make it harder for the next guy that comes along to rebuild it. Most people don't like working on half finished projects that others have started. If you're a noob mechanic, simply pulling and replacing the tranny yourself will be enough of a challenge IMO.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:05 AM
mrfarrell
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mccart
That tranny is shot, get a junkyard one or have it rebuilt. Rebuild should cost about 900. You can get a nv3500 for about 800 but then you're doing all the work.

Mrfarrel
Nv 4500s are harder to find around here. And more expensive everywhere
I picked up my nv4500 for $200 they had a stack of them on there shelf I asked about getting another nv3500 and they said they sell them like hot cakes every time they get a truck with one in it's the first thing to sell and I'd be looking at 850-1000$ for one depending on the mileage

Old 01-07-2012, 09:46 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Rebuilding a trans is not a simple undertaking. If you expect to fail, you most certainly will. I know when folks brought me vehicles in "kit form" (I.E. they had tried to repair, and were bring me a basketful of parts....) I would charge MORE than if they hadn't touched it at all.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:47 AM
mccart
Veteran

I just looked on eBay and a new 3500 you can get for 749, 4500 the cheapest was 1000

Originally Posted by mrfarrell
I picked up my nv4500 for $200 they had a stack of them on there shelf I asked about getting another nv3500 and they said they sell them like hot cakes every time they get a truck with one in it's the first thing to sell and I'd be looking at 850-1000$ for one depending on the mileage

Quick Reply: NVG 3500 Transmission issue...4th only