2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Still sounds like a can of marbles

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 12:27 AM
candymancan
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is why i havent done my plenum yet.. My pan is still sparkly clean, i do lose oil.. But your like the 20th guy i've seen who has done this Job and still has a pinging engine..

I honestly believe this issue is deeper then just the plenum pan.. It has to be something else but sadly i dont know enough about engines to make assumptions.. If it were a leaky valve then the spark plug in that champer should be dirty.. but none of mine are.. I've gone trhrough seafoam bottles, bg44k the works.. The only thing that did help my pinging was driving 600 miles non-stop.. The pinging went away for like 2 weeks then came back.

Btw seafoam is ****... have you guys actually looked inside your cylinders before and after ? I have and it did absolutetly nothing.. specially when the carbon is baked on.. What you need to do is get a 3 gallons bucket of water fed by a small hose and hook the hose into the PCV valve so the engine will basicly steam clean itself while your driving on the freeway..

I know for sure i do have an exahust leak on the passenger side.. seafoam showed me that.. and its pretty bad judging by the smoke that filled the engine bay.. So my pinging might actually be from that.

Last edited by candymancan; 05-10-2012 at 12:30 AM.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:37 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tresvatos
Well- I finally got my D@mn Knocking gone!!! It was the exhaust manifold gasket.. I replaced it along with RTV Silicone and grade 8 bolts. Running fine now, and NO can of freaking marbles under my hood! At least i got new plenum gasket and plate, dist cap, re-routed spark wires, upgraded wiring to o gauge on alt and grounds, and ported intake manifold and everything got a good cleaning in the process. So thankful to have that dang ping ping ping gone...I may celebrate by getting some aftermarket stainless headers, and chunk the old rusted casted heavy monsters that came on my 5.9.. So anyway that concludes my mysterious -knock, for the time being at least!! thanks to all for the suggestions! Greg
funny I had the same sound and same problem along with a misfire from a cracked header back in december... glad you got it worked out... it drove me nuts. I replaced my cracked pacesetter with stainless headers from eworldracing on ebay...they fit very nice and I'm impressed with them...

Candyman,
Seafoam works fine for me? its smoked like a bitch the first time I used it and now doesnt smoke at all when its used because there isnt enough loose carbon or oil left to burn out and cause it to smoke at this point... that alone tells me it worked even if the change in how it ran didnt...

if your engine keeps smoking everytime you use it you have something wrong causing excessive oil or carbon to build up quickly .... likely a blown plenum gasket.... sorry...

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 05-10-2012 at 08:44 AM.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:43 PM
candymancan
Veteran

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
funny I had the same sound and same problem along with a misfire from a cracked header back in december... glad you got it worked out... it drove me nuts. I replaced my cracked pacesetter with stainless headers from eworldracing on ebay...they fit very nice and I'm impressed with them...

Candyman,
Seafoam works fine for me? its smoked like a bitch the first time I used it and now doesnt smoke at all when its used because there isnt enough loose carbon or oil left to burn out and cause it to smoke at this point... that alone tells me it worked even if the change in how it ran didnt...

if your engine keeps smoking everytime you use it you have something wrong causing excessive oil or carbon to build up quickly .... likely a blown plenum gasket.... sorry...

Put some water through your brake booster line. It will smoke as well.

Old 05-10-2012, 02:54 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by candymancan
Put some water through your brake booster line. It will smoke as well.
I've that trick on my vw .... seafoam only smokes when theres carbon to remove.... once you do it and it smokes it eventually stops smoking when all the loose carbon is burned off.... water mixed with marvels mystery oil or seafoam works better and pure seafoam works even faster....I just bought seafoam a couple weeks ago because it was 2 for one and since I had just done it 150miles earlier when replacing my injectors and headers there was no smoke at all when I added to the booster line the just a smell of it burning so.....

The point I was making is even after you have done this repeatedly if your engine still noticably smokes something else iswrong causing all the carbon to build up so fast...

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 05-10-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:21 PM
tresvatos
Professional
Default Carbon Cleaning incident

I did the ATF trans fluid and water thru brake boost trick, and guys It smoked my whole neighborhood in a thick, I mean, thick cloud of BLACK smoke.. I was so embarrassed folks were coming out of thier homes, so I cut the engine and looked around like I didnt know where it was coming from. Thank God the Fire Dept. wasnt called. I stayed up til bout 2-3 a.m and went to a carwash outside the city and did it there. When i left the carwash I made sure coast was clear and drove off. it again put out a smoke cloud, I am in the Army, and essentially this is what we use on our vehicles to produce a smoke screen, well its actually diesel injected into the exhaust, but looks exactly the same. Anyway go the He77 away from anything and anybody if you do the brake line carbon clean trick..!

Old 05-10-2012, 05:23 PM
tresvatos
Professional

oh, and a litle off subject, i got the pinging stopped, and now my alternator GEN light is coming on with the battery not charging! Don't you love these old truck, and how they go from one project to the next within a days time!!

Old 05-12-2012, 08:04 PM
tresvatos
Professional

Well I was happy to get my ping gone, but today the Y pipe going to cat just split..Old and rusted I Imagine was the cause

Old 05-13-2012, 07:58 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it has to deal with plenum and the poorly made heads , because with my airgap 1.7 fastman , cai, longtubes I still have ping . Not on stock tune though because its a dog with death flash .

Old 08-20-2012, 10:05 PM
beeker
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Can someone please elaborate on the pinging sound? I don't hear a can of marbles sound, it's more like a high pitched whiring, kindof a whistling. Like in this youtube vid

My truck has always made this sound before and after the Hughes intake and regardless of what tune I'm running or octane. It's really annoying me now. I thought it was the throttle body whistling but it's not. I ordered a stethoscope to try and pinpoint the sound.
Is the sound I described pinging?

Edit: The sound is present at idle but louder at 1500 rpm and above.
I've already tried but I'm going to reload deathflash to retard timing and fill up with premium to see if it helps at all.

Last edited by beeker; 08-21-2012 at 03:42 AM.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:35 AM
ReadRam
All Star

Yeh that's how mine is starting to sound again,,,more of pinging/rattling sound. Did plenum couple years ago. After replacing MAP, IAC and finally the ignition coil plus dist cap(copper), rotor and plug wires, I was ping and rattle free for about 3 months. Then driving to job with a heavy load, slightly upgrade with a ford guy in the passenger seat, she started rattle,rattle, ping, ping and been doing it since. Just did timing chain and harmonic balancer, too!

Quick Reply: Still sounds like a can of marbles