2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Still sounds like a can of marbles

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 08:56 PM
tweav88
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still sounds like a can of marbles

So i recently did the plenum fix on my truck, replaced plenum plate with aluminum one, new gaskets, ect.

But still when the motors got a load on it or i put my foot in it, it still sounds like a can of marbles,

What else can make these engines sound like that?

I know this is sort of vague but i just hate constantly hearing the noise when i drive, it doesn't seem to lack any power and runs good, its just sounds like a can of marbles.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:04 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Try running a can of seafoam thru it. (follow the directions on the can.) Drive it for a few days, and then do it again.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:10 PM
tweav88
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Try running a can of seafoam thru it. (follow the directions on the can.) Drive it for a few days, and then do it again.
That is on the to do list, ill pick a can up and try it tomorrow, and you mean just pouring down the intake correct?

I got some rislone and am running it instead of a quart of oil, i think zman recommended it a while ago. But when i did my plenum my engine looks pretty damn clean so idk if that'll really do anything.

Name:  downsize_2.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  46.6 KB

Old 01-11-2012, 09:26 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Change to a cooler plug autolight 3923 and change to a 180 t stat . Also if you timing chain is loose it could throw off timing a lil

Old 01-11-2012, 09:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by tweav88
That is on the to do list, ill pick a can up and try it tomorrow, and you mean just pouring down the intake correct?

I got some rislone and am running it instead of a quart of oil, i think zman recommended it a while ago. But when i did my plenum my engine looks pretty damn clean so idk if that'll really do anything.

Nah, feed it to the engine thru the vacuum line for the brake booster. The can will tell ya what's up. It's mainly to clean the carbon deposits on valves, combustion chambers, and pistons. Carbon deposits will act as hot spots, and can give you a bad case of spark knock. Clean it out, end of problem. (hopefully)

Lastrights has a point on the timing chain as well.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:41 PM
tweav88
Professional

Nah, feed it to the engine thru the vacuum line for the brake booster. The can will tell ya what's up. It's mainly to clean the carbon deposits on valves, combustion chambers, and pistons. Carbon deposits will act as hot spots, and can give you a bad case of spark knock. Clean it out, end of problem. (hopefully)

Lastrights has a point on the timing chain as well.
Yea the break booster line is what i meant,

Which way would you prefer doing it? because i've seen it both ways on here, some people pour it in and let it stall the engine and others just shut it off

I should have just done the timing chain when i did the plenum, but still it wouldnt be hard to do, i just dont know exactly what to do to keep the engine timed correctly (besides just marking the ends of each shafts with a paint stick.) If you have a link to a DIY or How to that would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by tweav88; 01-11-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

When I did mine, I had my teenager hold the engine at 1500 RPM for about 3/4's of a can, then I stalled it. Let it sit for a bit. Fired it back up, and fed it the rest. Looked a LOT like a military smoke generator........ Don't do this at your house if you live in an urban area..... You WILL **** off the neighbors.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:47 PM
tweav88
Professional

When I did mine, I had my teenager hold the engine at 1500 RPM for about 3/4's of a can, then I stalled it. Let it sit for a bit. Fired it back up, and fed it the rest. Looked a LOT like a military smoke generator........ Don't do this at your house if you live in an urban area..... You WILL **** off the neighbors.
I live out in the country so no worries about neighbors,
so you just let the engine stall out on the seafoam, I dont know if this is a myth or whatever but people say how that can hydro lock your engine and can potentially bend push rods

Old 01-11-2012, 09:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by tweav88
I live out in the country so no worries about neighbors,
so you just let the engine stall out on the seafoam, I dont know if this is a myth or whatever but people say how that can hydro lock your engine and can potentially bend push rods
If you just straight up POURED the whole can down the throttle body, with the engine idling, yeah, you could hydro-lock it without too much effort. Just don't do that. Keep the vacuum line just above the level of the liquid, so it just sucks in a bit at a time, and it works perfect.

Hydro-lock bends connecting rods. Blows up pistons. Launches heads. All sorts of REALLY rude behavior that you would much rather NOT experience.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:59 PM
tweav88
Professional

So when you said you stalled it you meant just shut it off?

Quick Reply: Still sounds like a can of marbles