2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Still sounds like a can of marbles

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 02:32 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Ok i just read through and i see you fixed the problem but id like to throw in my. 02 cents on the timing chain...

Id recommend doing it...it cost about $75 for chain/grears and gaskets/coolant..and about 4 hours to do...i did mine at 203kthe cuz i didnt know if it had been changed...truck ran great but better safe than sorry...when i pulled the timing cover the chain looked great...but when i touched it the chain was so loose i was almost able to pull it right off the gears and my truck had no odd sounds or any motor problems...im just trying to tell you its better safe than sorry and its easy as hell...hardest part was pulling the harmonic balancer off...

And i didnt do top dead center or anything....i just pulled the old chain off and put the new chain on just making sure the punchmark lined with the silver link at 12 o clock on the cam gear...the gears are on keyweights so they only go on one way so just make sure the chain is in the same position as when it came out...seriously a very simple job....and worth it...my truck has 228k and runs like a top...engine doesnt ping/ or shutter at all...rpms never bounce around and oil psi is always above 40psi....but i also put in the highest quality parts/fluids i can...

As for seafoam....honestly i noticed little to nothing...and when i did my plenum afterwards the engine wasnt any clean then from when i pulled the intake the first time...but my motor was still clean....so in my opinion seafoam is a waste of money....

Also how hard was it to remove your header? I havent done one before and i need to pull my right one to get my egr pipe off...

Old 08-21-2012, 03:50 AM
beeker
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ReadRam
Yeh that's how mine is starting to sound again,,,more of pinging/rattling sound. Did plenum couple years ago. After replacing MAP, IAC and finally the ignition coil plus dist cap(copper), rotor and plug wires, I was ping and rattle free for about 3 months. Then driving to job with a heavy load, slightly upgrade with a ford guy in the passenger seat, she started rattle,rattle, ping, ping and been doing it since. Just did timing chain and harmonic balancer, too!
Okay, thanks for the confirm. I wasn't sure if that was pinging, just thought it was normal, I always thought ping would be more of a knock sound.

Quick Reply: Still sounds like a can of marbles