2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Clunk noise while in park?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 02:09 PM
DogeRamGuy1993
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunk noise while in park?

So its been getting colder here in Michigan and i'm not sure it has to do with the noise i'm hearing when my truck is in park. Haven't tracked down where its coming from, up front of course but only when its in park, anyone have ideas? thanks

Old 01-14-2012, 05:30 PM
sam_priem
Veteran

Originally Posted by DogeRamGuy1993
So its been getting colder here in Michigan and i'm not sure it has to do with the noise i'm hearing when my truck is in park. Haven't tracked down where its coming from, up front of course but only when its in park, anyone have ideas? thanks
that could be so many different things. your post is pretty vague. is it a loud cluck, light clunk, ticking? is there anything happening other than goofy noises?

Old 01-15-2012, 05:46 PM
DogeRamGuy1993
Professional

Originally Posted by sam_priem
that could be so many different things. your post is pretty vague. is it a loud cluck, light clunk, ticking? is there anything happening other than goofy noises?
Yeah sorry about that, well its not that loud and not continuous , you will hear it once or twice every 2-3 seconds, but my only concern is why would it only happen in Park because when i shift to D or R it stops?

Old 01-15-2012, 06:18 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

you should try starting your truck in neutral and see if it make that noise.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:21 PM
charlie50187

It's your torque converter, and you should always warm up your truck in neutral because the trans doesn't flow in park. My 2000 does the same thing.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:29 PM
sam_priem
Veteran

Originally Posted by DogeRamGuy1993
Yeah sorry about that, well its not that loud and not continuous , you will hear it once or twice every 2-3 seconds, but my only concern is why would it only happen in Park because when i shift to D or R it stops?
could be a sticky/noisy lifter or valve. when you put the truck into D or R, the RPMs drop, causing the engine to stop making goofy noises.

For starters i would put some injector and valve cleaner in with the gas. Lucas Oil makes some pretty good stuff that you can get at any auto store. i would also run some sea foam through it. give it a day or 2 to give the injector cleaner stuff to do its job. see what that does.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:57 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

charlie50187 could be on to something, it's been pretty cold here the past few mornings and evenings and I've noticed when the motor/tranny is cold the transmission will make a little bit of whirling/growling noise in Reverse only, once it warms up a tad the noise is gone.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:08 PM
Cthulhu
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or your compressor clutch for your defrost kicking in/out.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:31 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cthulhu
Or your compressor clutch for your defrost kicking in/out.
I thought about that too, but seems odd it will only to it in reverse, I'm talking as soon as you pull the shifter to R and it engages there's a little noise, but only when cold, as soon as you shift to any other gear it's gone.

I'm not too worried about it though.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:52 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

IAC- Mine does it.. every so often because when I cleaned mine I made the fatal mistake of turning the plunger.. since then it clunks from time to time.. something is wrong with it and I'm replacing it. It does it every 3-4 mins.. and only in park but mostly when its still cold. not warmed up yet.. then it seems fine once the ECM starts reading everything

Just a thought.. your IAC motor/pluger might be sticking.. >? Making a clunk sound>?

Quick Reply: Clunk noise while in park?