2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear End Noise(Video/Sound included)

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 10:04 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yup, and get a Haynes manual and download the free FSM on the first page in the FAQ/DIY section.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:49 AM
Nereaga
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet, thanks man! Downloaded the dodge service manual

Old 01-15-2012, 11:03 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Get a Haynes too.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:06 PM
Nereaga
Captain

Going to, any retail stores sell them that you know of? Autozone, Advanced Auto, national Auto?

I'm gonna start calling around!

Thanks!

Brad

Old 01-15-2012, 12:17 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Most, if not all parts stores will have a Haynes. Some things in it will not be accurate for your year, as Dodge changed things over the years.Which is where also having the downloaded FSM helps. But it (the Haynes) sure does come in handy for basic repair/maintenance and a quick reference for when you need it. Both should be read before doing any procedure. This way, you know if you have the required tools and know how.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:41 PM
Nereaga
Captain

Sounds good. I am mechanically inclined as I do do my own, brakes, rotors, plugs/wires, oil changes, and recently shocks. I just want to get into some other things with my Dodge: ie- like the rear differential gasket, valve cover gaskets, possibly some exhaust work, power steering gear seal is leaking, and maybe upper and lower control arm bushings. As I seen that they were a bit wore doing the front shocks.

I will most likely buy the tools as need for the job I will be doing, which is why I want the Haynes.

I thought about printing out the FSM, but its over 2K pages! Just called AutoZone and they have one and are holding it for me.

Thanks again!

Brad

Old 01-15-2012, 12:54 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Originally Posted by Nereaga
Sounds good. I am mechanically inclined as I do do my own, brakes, rotors, plugs/wires, oil changes, and recently shocks. I just want to get into some other things with my Dodge: ie- like the rear differential gasket, valve cover gaskets, possibly some exhaust work, power steering gear seal is leaking, and maybe upper and lower control arm bushings. As I seen that they were a bit wore doing the front shocks.

I will most likely buy the tools as need for the job I will be doing, which is why I want the Haynes.

I thought about printing out the FSM, but its over 2K pages! Just called AutoZone and they have one and are holding it for me.

Thanks again!

Brad
Most of those things will be covered in one or the other(which is why it's nice to have both). For other questions, that's what DF is here for. The manuals help with certain things that might be forgotten or overlooked when getting a reply on any forum. And you should look through the whole FAQ/DIY section for other great pieces of info. It's worth spending the time to look through that whole section.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:23 PM
Nereaga
Captain

Slowly but surely I am working my way through all those DIY threads, gonna take awhile to get through them all! I have had my truck for too long neglecting it, time to start giving it some love back.

Thanks,

Brad

Old 01-15-2012, 01:38 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Not that it helps if you have a rear diff failing, but, this is one of the first things you should read on here. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...um-thread.html At the very least, eliminate it as a problem after you get that noise corrected.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:12 PM
Nereaga
Captain

Haynes repair book in hand now...

I seen that thread. Add it to the list of things to do...

Quick Reply: Rear End Noise(Video/Sound included)