2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear End Noise(Video/Sound included)

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 08:32 PM
Nereaga
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow that might take me some giant ***** to attempt that. Might need a hand with that one! Anyone close to lend a helping hand?!?!?!

Old 01-18-2012, 03:39 PM
Nereaga
Captain

Cleaned the rear diff cover and pulled the plug to check fluid and it was full. So mark that off the list. I cleaned the hell out of the rear clover to unveil any potential leaks with the gasket. I have never topped off or had any fluid put in so my guess is it is not leaking, unless of course someone is topping it off for me. Looking like a bunch of caked on dust on the rear, just about 10 yrs worth

Onto the rear brake Drums/Pads next... Should be fun...

Old 01-20-2012, 07:59 PM
ryank102

I've had the same noise since I bought my truck a few thousand miles ago, and just had all the bearings in the rear replaced to address different high pitched whine I was having at 35mph+ (gears were checked and good). The whine is now gone, but this noise continues. So I'm interested to hear how it turns out for you!

Old 01-20-2012, 11:45 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nereaga
***Update with Pics***

Pictures of my Rear, LMAO- still a kid at heart!

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...a/100_4207.jpg

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...a/100_4206.jpg

Now I think it is safe to say that the cover needs to be pulled and install a new gasket, correct? Looks like I'll be searching the site for step by step on changing the gear oil and gasket when the next nice day comes around, which here in NE PA, might be after the winter... Unless I can get to my bosses house/shop and change it in his heated garage.

Now to check the rear fluid, all I do is pop off that rubber plug? It should be filled to the top of the plug correct?

TIA!

Brad
What did the gears ook like when you pulled cover off? Did you get pics?

I pulled mine last weekend and checked all gears and backlash as well as I was at a stopping point on the work I had planned. If you have an unusual wear pattern on teeth, it would indicate something is worn. Were there any metal shavings or pieces in the bottome?

Old 01-21-2012, 09:21 AM
Nereaga
Captain

I just checked the fluid, never pulled the cover yet as i didn't have time and we just got more snow! Dam It! I am waiting for the next nicer day out to change the gasket and check the gears. When I do, I will take pics! I already have that gasket and the valve cover gaskets too.

I just wanted to make sure there was fluid in the pumpkin first! Check!

Old 01-21-2012, 10:14 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Use RTV on the gasket also. Actually, you don't even need the gasket. Just use RTV.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:30 AM
Nereaga
Captain

Will do, I will just use RTV.

Thanks!

Old 01-21-2012, 10:44 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Just make sure you let it cure for 15 minutes or so, before installing the cover. And clean both surfaces really good and wipe down with denatured alcohol or lacquer thinner.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:24 AM
mark28269
Amateur

It sounds like the Differential. The sound is only there when you apply the gas, when you let off, it goes away. Noise only when there is pressure on the gears. I had the same noise for a while until mine went out. Rebuilt mine. Clutch packs, gears and all. When you take your cover off you should find metal in you oil.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:05 AM
Nereaga
Captain

I will be finding out the good/bad news with my rear this Sunday. I have a buddy who is going to look at it for me as he is a certified mechanic. He thinks the rear axle needs some grease, just due to the fact that it hasn't gotten any worse/blown the rear yet after 130,000+. Finger crossed!

Will update as soon as we know. If bad news comes then I will be looking for a new dodge sooner than I thought!

Quick Reply: Rear End Noise(Video/Sound included)