2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Welding question about body work....Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 11:38 PM
DogeRamGuy1993
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Welding question about body work....Anyone?

Okay so i have a little bit of welding experience from my auto class back in high school, of course it was a tig welder though. I have some rust that i want to fix on my truck. I have already priced the panels i need from LMC truck, and i know how to use bondo. I have an arc welder but those take some practice, Harbor freight sells a 90amp flux welder for under 100 bucks, my only question is......i hear people say they can weld with a flux core and people say they cant? i dont know who to believe, i dont have enough money to spend on a mig or tig with gas....any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Old 01-17-2012, 12:41 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

People that say they can't weld with flux core just aren't doing it right. As with any technique, it takes practice, ergo time. You may suffer quality, meaning more grinding for cleanup or other, but hey...it's join up. If you go that route, then you'll be proud to shove 'em a finger or two.... It's your budget.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:00 AM
romadramowner
Professional

I was in the same boat and ended up with a Lincoln welder. I just did a lot of "YouTube" watching and took my time. I eventually leased a tank of gas for welding other stuff but the flux core will work on sheet metal. Just make sure to pay attention to the settings and do a bunch of short welds so you don't burn through the metal. Obviously I learned trial by error.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:17 AM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Also, be sure to remove ALL the flux before you start do the filler work. If you dont, wherever there is flux, there is NOT adhesion. Also, of you plan on keeping the truck for any length of time, do NOT use Bondo brand filler. Its garbage. Use a filler like Evercoat. Its more expensive, but worth it in the long run. You can try to find it at various auto part stores or online like here: http://www.autobodytoolmart.com

Old 01-17-2012, 10:49 AM
knoxy
Rookie

I used a lincoln flux core 110V Weld Pack welder ($100 on craigs list) to put new lower door panels on my truck. Never welded before. read up on it and watched alot of youutube vids first. Practiced on some scrap metal first. You'll want to use low heat on the body sheet metal and (depending on your skills) expect to blow some holes through the metal. I welded in a backer strip to attach to (forget butt welding), used lots of clamps and pre-treated the seams with a weld-through galvanizing primer.

Once you get the metal fitted, clamped and tight, do tack welds every 2-3 inches, starting in the middle and alternating each side, to minimise heat warpage. Then fill the gaps between the welds with shorts beads, again alternating to non adjacent segments.

Expect it to be messy, Keep a wire brush/wheel handy to clean up the flux residue as you go. Use a grinder and some flap wheels to smooth out the globs of metal.

Get it clean of flux residue and any oils before applying filler. I used bondo and duplicolor from autozone for finish and paint. I also coated the interior of the metal with galvanizing primer and PB Corrosion stop to prevent rust from the inside out.

Now I've got the only 2nd gen Ram in the neighbourhood that doesn't look like a rust monster gnawed on my doors!

If I can do it, I'm sure you can!

Last edited by knoxy; 01-17-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:06 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion

Originally Posted by knoxy
I used a lincoln fix core 110V Weld Pack welder ($100 on craigs list) to put new lower door panels on my truck. Never welded before. read up on it and watched alot of youutube vids first. Practiced on some scrap metal first. You'll want to use low heat on the body sheet metal and (depending on your skills) expect to blow some holes through the metal. I welded in a backer strip to attach to (forget butt welding), used lots of clamps and pre-treated the seams with a weld-through galvanizing primer.

Once you get the metal fitted, clamped and tight, do tack welds every 2-3 inches, starting in the middle and alternating each side, to minimise heat warpage. Then fill the gaps between the welds with shorts beads, again alternating to non adjacent segments.

Expect it to be messy, Keep a wire brush/wheel handy to clean up the flux residue as you go. Use a grinder and some flap wheels to smooth out the globs of metal.

Get it clean of flux residue and any oils before applying filler. I used bondo and duplicolor from autozone for finish and paint. I also coated the interior of the metal with galvanizing primer and PB Corrosion stop to prevent rust from the inside out.

Now I've got the only 2nd gen Ram in the neighbourhood that doesn't look like a rust monster gnawed on my doors!

If I can do it, I'm sure you can!

I think this is great advice!!

Old 01-17-2012, 11:10 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

When I did body work..... when replacing panels, I would just tack the panels together every few inches, and then fill the rest with lead...... (yes, it has been a LONG time ago....)

Old 01-17-2012, 11:14 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion

what the heck....hauling kryptonite???

Quick Reply: Welding question about body work....Anyone?