2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fuel Filter / Regulator

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 04:29 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Frieging tiny is right. I can't wait to get rid of this system.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:34 PM
1nordictom1
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Thanks for the photos Merc225.They are interesting.

Is that a rubber gomment that 1 1/4" ID? My thoughts are to use -6 fuel line for Feed & return, -8 would be for big HP app's. I found out that the OEM pump put's out 33 ?? per sec? the spec's didn't sense on the NAPA site that I have access to.
Antother idea, is to try and use the intank pump as a boster to the external pump??? if possible, or like what I did to my Bronco, put a High HP in tank pump, 215 l/hr, if I remember right. But it already had a return from the factory

I wonder if a in-tank pump from something else can be retro fitted into the stock pump housing? Just thinking out loud now............. that way you can delete the by-pass on the oem pump & create a return fitting, using the vent?

good discussion by the way.........

NT

Old 01-22-2012, 06:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

I thought about using a GM EFI in-tank pump. Shouldn't be hard to adapt to the current location, puts out more than enough pressure/volume... and doesn't have the return fitting on it.

For an external pump, I would be tempted to put a sump on the bottom of the tank, and draw fuel from there. of course, being a truck that sees off road duty, that probably isn't going to work out well.....

Old 01-22-2012, 06:44 PM
1nordictom1
Amateur

I'm going to talk to the Mechanic's at my work tomorrow. There are a few GM fanatic's among them, they may have a GM pump rat holed somewhere in their shop, to use as a mock up. Maybe even have the output spec's on it.........or the spec's on a higher output pump.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Use something out of an 85-92 camaro/firebird with TPI. High pressure pump, that will do the job nicely. (cheap, and plentiful too.....) I tried a few of the aftermarket 'high performance' fuel pumps.... but, got tired of changing the pump again the week after the warranty on the pump ran out...... (yes walbro, I am looking at YOU.) On the 'bird, dropping the tank was NOT an easy undertaking...... (right above the rear axle..... brilliant idea GM.....)

Old 01-22-2012, 07:07 PM
merc225hp
Champion

Duh sorry; Without the rubber ring the hole is 1 and 5/8. I my case I have given up on all Holley fuel pumps for the same reason HeyYou has with walbe. A sump can is a must if a remote pump is to be used. If you need a total psi for this pump not using a reg let me know and I will run it without the reg to test psi. This would not happen today more like on Monday aft before I can get to it.

Edit: Some fuel pumps have an extra place for a fuel line, it can be seen in the below pix with the rubber cap on it. This could be used as the return line as the vent is a one way valve.

Last edited by merc225hp; 01-22-2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:20 PM
1nordictom1
Amateur

Thanks for the photos........

Here's what I have found out, Please, my math be off.......it should be close though.

Dodge OEM pump: 33 gals/ hr = 125Liters/ sec, @ approx 45 psi.

I looked at the Airtex website, there are a few different fuel tank sizes, the 35 gal tank looks like it has the extra port in the photo. The other sizes don't have that port. I looks like a viable option for a return line.

NT

Look at this web site...........http://autoperformanceengineering.com/

Last edited by 1nordictom1; 01-22-2012 at 07:22 PM. Reason: change info
Old 01-22-2012, 07:54 PM
merc225hp
Champion

Thanks for that link. I have no idea were Surf city is but if you would like one of my old pumps to play with you can have one for free to mess with. Send me a pm with your mailing address and I will send it to you, or at least try it seems when I try to send used fuel pump parts down that way they get sent back do to the fuel oder.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:52 PM
Ramcountryboy
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a very interesting thread, my regulator doesn't hold pressure so I gotta prime it to start it after it sits for a while. Been thinkin bout replacin the regulator but I am not a fan of the stock setup, so I'll see what those here who are smarter than me come up with

Old 01-23-2012, 12:07 AM
merc225hp
Champion

Originally Posted by Ramcountryboy
This is a very interesting thread, my regulator doesn't hold pressure so I gotta prime it to start it after it sits for a while. Been thinkin bout replacin the regulator but I am not a fan of the stock setup, so I'll see what those here who are smarter than me come up with
I have been looking into a check valve just after the regulator/filter pos to solve this issue. I will keep you updated.

Quick Reply: Fuel Filter / Regulator