2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

more problems... idle/drivability related

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 07:31 PM
autolockguy13
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default more problems... idle/drivability related

ok, so after work i went and started up the truck to let it warm up. when i came back out it was spitting and sputtering like it was missing real bad but was still idling barely. so i got in and hit the gas and it revved up like it should and when it went back to idle it seemed fine, for a second, then it started with the grumpiness again. so i take off, trying to get up to speed and there was basically no power, so i floored it and it took off. get up to speed, barely on the gas now just holding speed and it starts spitting and sputtering again. backfiring, not real loud, but i could hear it. maybe it was detonation? either way, i had to drive home about 15 miles by flooring it up to speed, then coasting until i needed to get more speed then flooring it again. when its at idle i noticed right before it starts spitting i can hear the intake sucking alot more air, then it runs like crap, almost dies but before dying its like someone blips the gas pedal and it fires back up to around 2 grand and then back down to idle like crap. please help, i gotta drive this turd to work tomorrow!

96 1500 360 w/ 5 speed.
as some of you know basically everything outside of the block under the hood is new within the last year-ish, most parts onlt have 5000 miles or so. doesnt make any sense...

Old 01-23-2012, 07:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Disconnect the pre-cat O2 sensor, and take it for a ride. See if it feels any better.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:53 PM
autolockguy13
Professional

i do have an o2s high voltage i believe it said...

Old 01-23-2012, 07:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

That would make the PCM think the mixture was really rich/lean (don't recall which.....) and cause it to remove/add fuel.... when it really shouldn't be. That will indeed make it run funny.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:04 PM
autolockguy13
Professional

gotta wait another hour till the kids in bed, then ill be able to go back out and tinker. but feel free to keep shooting ideas my way. how have u been? since the last time we talked ive gotten it running the best its been, rebuilt the rear drums, a new u joint, was going to do another one tonight but ive been side tracked... cant remember if i had my job or not the last time we chatted, i think i was jobless? either way, found a job at a specialty salvage yard, decent job, **** pay but better than nothin!

Old 01-23-2012, 08:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Not too shabby here. My ex-boss finally gave Das Boot to the dick.... erm...... guy... that was renting the shop. So, now I have a fully equipped garage available to play in again.

I think last time we chatted, you had JUST gotten the job. At least you are gainfully employed. More than I can say......

The problem sounds for all the world like a dieing O2 sensor though. Classic symptoms. When you step down hard on the gas, you drop back into Open Loop, and the PCM ignores the O2 sensor, so... it runs better.

Get the kids dealt with, check it out, see what happens.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:34 PM
silverbullet-dodgeram
Veteran

this is excacly what mine is doing so keep us infored on your progess

Old 01-24-2012, 11:12 AM
silverbullet-dodgeram
Veteran

did u make any new discovorys on the ole goat?

Old 01-25-2012, 08:44 PM
autolockguy13
Professional

sorry, got alot going on right now so i havent had alot of time to do much. i cleared all my codes and drove to work no problems. havent driven it without clearing the codes before driving since but i havent had any more issues. i still have the codes every time i check, but they arent affecting it as of now. dont know if its because ive been clearing them every time i start it or not. should have some more time tomorrow or this weekend to look at it some more. thanks for the help, sorry if this doesnt help ur problem silverbullet

Old 01-25-2012, 11:50 PM
19DodgeDartGT67
Amateur

My truck ran like that for a while. My IAC and Pre-cat o2 was fouled out and i unplugged it and it drove and ran fine. Thing is mine wouldnt do me any good at stopping so I replaced my IAC which now caused other problems, let alone idle was non existent so I figured that was the o2 which was true after I put a code reader to it. Went and ordered it today should be in tomorrow around noon, also buying new plugs an wires just to clean up the old beast.

Last edited by 19DodgeDartGT67; 01-25-2012 at 11:55 PM.

Quick Reply: more problems... idle/drivability related