2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

01 ram van starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 01:32 PM
b2500ramvan01
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 ram van starting problems

Hello everyone
i am having problems with my 01 b2500 ram van wagon it has a 318 motor
i recently bought a scanner to try to diagnose a no start problem but did not receive any codes after a couple days of trying to get the truck started, it started i dont think anything i did caused this any way it ran ok for a few weeks
i did receive a 02 sensor code after a week or so of regular driving (gas milage is not that good) the code was bank 1 sensor 1 shorted to voltage so i unplugged the sensor cleared the code and received another code bank 1 sensor 2 heater element low ? i think thats right (sorry bad memory)fast forward to last week the truck wont start again and showing same symptoms
i did not fix 02 sensor yet due to financial problems so now

it has fuel ( about 46-48 pounds)with key on it also holds that pressure with key off ,it also has spark ,i used a screwdriver and it would jump at least 3/8 of an inch and seemed strong i also tested it with a cheap ignition tester
and the spark jups up to 3v on the tester the spark is orange (not sure if that matters i pulled the plugs and they are fouled with gas (prob from trying to start so much ) i cleaned them and while testing a plug with the tester it almost started pressure was blowing out the open plug hole ok so i cleaned all the plugs and she fired right up i let her run for a bit and shut it off and restarted as if never a problem well this morning its a no start again "note 1 simialarity is the last couple times this happend it has been rainy or snowing ? i did spray plug wires with w d 40 as well as distributer to no avail
i am going to ckean the plugs again as i am sure they are fouled again from starting attempts
do you think the 02 sensor is causing too much fuel to foul my plugs (they are about a year old )?
also should i use mopar sensors when i replace or is aftermarket ok ?
sorry this is so long guys i just wanted to try to be thorough
thank you very much for reading this and any help suggestions are greatly appreciated
t c

Last edited by b2500ramvan01; 01-27-2012 at 02:14 PM. Reason: mispelling
Old 01-27-2012, 03:35 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Assuming you've not interacted with anything else, I'd go back and revisit the O2 sensors. Why would they trigger codes in the first place? If they are, then they've gotten to a condition (bad one) that warrants the code.

Maybe pull the pre-cat sensor for starters. Start and drive down the block. Does it run any different?

Clogged cat symptoms......possibly. I've not experienced this, but tossing out a related component, intimate one, with the sensor.

Report back what you've got.

If you replace the O2 sensors, then stay away from Bosch. NGK or Denso brands.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:07 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

+1... unscrew the pre cat o2 and see if anything changes.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:21 PM
b2500ramvan01

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
Assuming you've not interacted with anything else, I'd go back and revisit the O2 sensors. Why would they trigger codes in the first place? If they are, then they've gotten to a condition (bad one) that warrants the code.

Maybe pull the pre-cat sensor for starters. Start and drive down the block. Does it run any different?

Clogged cat symptoms......possibly. I've not experienced this, but tossing out a related component, intimate one, with the sensor.

Report back what you've got.

If you replace the O2 sensors, then stay away from Bosch. NGK or Denso brands.
ok i will pull it tommorow thanks i did clean the plugs again and would not start
will report back
thank you for your help

Old 01-28-2012, 09:53 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

See what your scanner tells you about engine coolant temp.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:15 PM
b2500ramvan01

i bought two 02 sensors this morning pulled the back one but the front has decided to be the one (you know like the one bolt that never wants to come loose) so i hit it with pb blaster a few times and tried to wrench it no go so i bought the 02 sensor socket and put a breaker bar on it still no go and its getting dark and cold out so i guess its the am for me i think i am going to try and heat it up with the propane torch and then try to pull it off
i bought new plugs for good measure as i was told if they get fouled enough times they do go bad ?
thanks for your help guys

update :: thanks guys

whiteknucle i am still not able to pull the front sensor it is rusted/welded in place used the socket /cut the wires and got a long boxed wrench on it with a cheater pipe to no avail even tapped the pipe while applying pressure
i left the spark plugs out yesterday and let the fuel evaporate and this morning reinstalled them she fired right up like ther was never a problem
i let it run to warm the exaust up and still cant get sensor off and now i am beyond the point of no return the corners are now rounded off and my options are now >monkey wrench with teeth > or just drill a new hole buy a sensor saver and weld a new one in place because that sensor will apparently live in the pipe forever

Last edited by b2500ramvan01; 01-29-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:10 PM
b2500ramvan01

Originally Posted by HeyYou
See what your scanner tells you about engine coolant temp.
as far as the scanner goes i have rear sensor off and pre cat unpugged so i have 4 codes right now
>p0037
>p0132
>p0135
>p0138
but hope re-installing new sensors will fix those here is the pics of scanner screen

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j9...d/DSCF5616.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j9...d/DSCF5617.jpg

Last edited by b2500ramvan01; 01-29-2012 at 04:40 PM. Reason: add pic
Old 01-29-2012, 06:05 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by b2500ramvan01
i bought two 02 sensors this morning pulled the back one but the front has decided to be the one (you know like the one bolt that never wants to come loose) so i hit it with pb blaster a few times and tried to wrench it no go so i bought the 02 sensor socket and put a breaker bar on it still no go and its getting dark and cold out so i guess its the am for me i think i am going to try and heat it up with the propane torch and then try to pull it off
i bought new plugs for good measure as i was told if they get fouled enough times they do go bad ?
thanks for your help guys

update :: thanks guys

whiteknucle i am still not able to pull the front sensor it is rusted/welded in place used the socket /cut the wires and got a long boxed wrench on it with a cheater pipe to no avail even tapped the pipe while applying pressure
i left the spark plugs out yesterday and let the fuel evaporate and this morning reinstalled them she fired right up like ther was never a problem
i let it run to warm the exaust up and still cant get sensor off and now i am beyond the point of no return the corners are now rounded off and my options are now >monkey wrench with teeth > or just drill a new hole buy a sensor saver and weld a new one in place because that sensor will apparently live in the pipe forever
Well that is a bummer that you lost the battle on the nut. Another attempt possibly, unless you've done it already, more PB blaster, heat the surrounding fitting with a torch to get the catalyst to suck into the threads, then get tight **** grip with vise grips. Use a dead blow hammer to smack the vise to pop it.

However, something I noticed in your update (large font size) is that you cut the front O2 wires. Following that, the engine came to life. Others should confirm with me, but this looks like the makings of a clogged cat. It would also explain with the sensor will not cry uncle.

Try again to start and drive around. Just down the block. If its improved, then the clogged cat is a credible problem here. Resolution is then to replace it altogether.

Then it is imperative that you read the following thread.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...um-thread.html

Old 01-29-2012, 06:24 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You can use one of these to help with the 02 bung replacement. They come in different sizes for the different pipe sizes.

http://www.aemelectronics.com/no-wel...nt-3-inch-1175

Old 01-29-2012, 06:51 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WhiteNuckle covered it but I was gonna suggest using a torch to heat it up a bit....Should break free then with proper amount of force....

Quick Reply: 01 ram van starting problems