2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1500 5.9L 2wd 1995 Stalling.. Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 06:37 AM
dixonmusic
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

So, is there a way to check the TCC without dropping the pan ?

Old 02-04-2012, 11:18 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Manually trigger it. Just splice a switch into the ground wire for TCC. (you can disable computer control of it by actually cutting the wire..... just be sure to put it all back when you are done with testing.)

Old 02-08-2012, 08:53 AM
dixonmusic
Amateur

Not trying to flog a dead horse here but ?? I have limited mechanical esp and limited funds to continue to diagnose and fix my issue. (Stalling parking lot low revs/now possible gear change/transmission stumbles/have code 37) so what can I do myself that is not too mechanically taxing. Can I realistically get a result with transmission and tcc without dropping the complete transmission ? I'm game for it just don't want to get in over my head.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:42 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Went digging thru the 95 service manual, looking for the wiring diagrams for the TCC solenoid..... and didn't find it. Which is TRULY odd. Manual says that it is PCM controlled, however, I sure can't find it. The trans wiring diagram section is pretty short, don't think I just overlooked it.....

Grab the manual, and do the Torque Converter diagnosis part. (it's listed in the index at the end of the manual. Could be TCC giving you fits, or, the overrunning clutch in the t/c going bad.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:00 AM
dixonmusic
Amateur

First off, to Hey you, i want to thank you for your time and research, as well as all others who contributed. I know im gonna have to dig in to the transmission very soon (as soon as time and $ will permit) at least to check for trash and replace fluids and filter and diagnose as best i can. In the meantime, i'm gonna revisit and test 2 other areas that were not fully checked i wasn't satisfied with: 1) o2 sensor and 2) Fuel pump/pressure . I have 2wd and only appear to have one o2, is that correct ? also I don't have equipment to test fuel pressure, is there a poor mans version ? what do you think

Old 02-09-2012, 10:45 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yep, you are OBDI, therefore, only one O2 sensor.

Need a fuel pressure gauge to check it. They have cheapies occasionally at the parts stores...... (of course, the only one available at the stores here was 50 bucks.......) might be able to rent one? Or, if you have a good relationship with a local garage, they should have one... might check it for ya for cheap/free?

Old 02-11-2012, 11:06 PM
dixonmusic
Amateur
Default still scratchin head

Fuel pressure 40psi, changed tranny oil, gasket and filter (there was some shavings like debris in pan, magnet fouled with grey toothpaste like mud).. still stalling in reverse when giving gas (almost like its too rich ???) Trans Rebuild ??

Old 02-12-2012, 09:58 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Grey mud is pretty normal. Shavings aren't good.... but, not really unexpected. So long as there wasn't a lot in there... probably ok for a while.

Try unplugging the electrical connector on the trans. (not the park neutral switch, the other one....) See if it still wants to stall. You won't have TCC lockup, or O/D though..... and it will prolly set a code if you get to a speed where the PCM wants either/both. See what happens.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:40 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

usually if it stalls in gear it means the torque converter is bad....That could explain the shavings too...I recently had the same issues when my TC failed...I had to get a rebuild.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:39 PM
ncr300zxtt
Default hello

i was reading through this post , because my 97 ram 2500 has almost the same problem .when is below 35 outside it stalls when i come to a complete stop or change between D and Reverse . IT does that if is not fully warmed up . Once the Temp gauge goes to 180 it wont do it any more .

What is TCC means ? and how exactly do i check fuel pressure ?

Quick Reply: 1500 5.9L 2wd 1995 Stalling.. Help Please