2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

CHanged Plenum ....Not fixed

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 09:22 PM
Shaggy433
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well finally some kinda good news...Was at the gas station getting gas the other day in the backup car and noticed the guy next to me was driving a f150 with ecoboost. I started talking to him about MPG's and come to find out he was the guy who traded my truck in to the dealership I bought it from!! So I got a good list of everything that was done to the truck in the 2 years he owned it...
Motor started knocking at 105k replaced with this ****ty reman'd

Tranny rebuilt at 93k do to having to rev it up to 2k-2500 for a while before it would engage into gear.

New fuel pump and tank at 85-90k due to a vacuum leak that couldn't be figured out.
When they dropped the tank they said that they haven't ever seen a gas tank that was that melted that didn't blow up..I guess the fuel pump melted the tank?

New ball joints upper and lowers both sides.

A/c not working so he took it in and it was fixed drove it about 10 minutes before it stopped working again.. Did a dye test but couldn't find the leak... that's a bummer

He said he put about 6k into it while he had it. It started acting up and the dodge dealer wanted to put new injectors in it for the Cyl 5 misfire but he didn't want to put anymore money into it so he traded it in...

I am going to be putting at least one new injector in it unless I can find all 8 for a good price..Any ideas where to look for a deal?

When the shop gets the swap done I will tear the head off and take a few pics so that hopefully we can see exactly what went wrong so that it doesn't happen again.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:06 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaggy433
Well finally some kinda good news...Was at the gas station getting gas the other day in the backup car and noticed the guy next to me was driving a f150 with ecoboost. I started talking to him about MPG's and come to find out he was the guy who traded my truck in to the dealership I bought it from!! So I got a good list of everything that was done to the truck in the 2 years he owned it...
Motor started knocking at 105k replaced with this ****ty reman'd

Tranny rebuilt at 93k do to having to rev it up to 2k-2500 for a while before it would engage into gear.

New fuel pump and tank at 85-90k due to a vacuum leak that couldn't be figured out.
When they dropped the tank they said that they haven't ever seen a gas tank that was that melted that didn't blow up..I guess the fuel pump melted the tank?

New ball joints upper and lowers both sides.

A/c not working so he took it in and it was fixed drove it about 10 minutes before it stopped working again.. Did a dye test but couldn't find the leak... that's a bummer

He said he put about 6k into it while he had it. It started acting up and the dodge dealer wanted to put new injectors in it for the Cyl 5 misfire but he didn't want to put anymore money into it so he traded it in...

I am going to be putting at least one new injector in it unless I can find all 8 for a good price..Any ideas where to look for a deal?

When the shop gets the swap done I will tear the head off and take a few pics so that hopefully we can see exactly what went wrong so that it doesn't happen again.
Rebuilt direct plug in play 4 hole gen 2 upgrade injectors go for about 145 shipped on ebay for a matched set of 8...I went with the newer bosch "703" injectors they are a popular swap..especially on some other forums like the jeep forum where guys claim 2 to 3 mpg improvements...you need to get the fuel sinc readjusted though since it has to be retarded about 4 degrees so I've been told to take advantage of benefits..

Old 02-28-2012, 10:15 PM
johnnyjaws98
Veteran

never mind

Last edited by johnnyjaws98; 02-28-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:33 PM
Shaggy433
Rookie

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
Rebuilt direct plug in play 4 hole gen 2 upgrade injectors go for about 145 shipped on ebay for a matched set of 8...I went with the newer bosch "703" injectors they are a popular swap..especially on some other forums like the jeep forum where guys claim 2 to 3 mpg improvements...you need to get the fuel sinc readjusted though since it has to be retarded about 4 degrees so I've been told to take advantage of benefits..

lol gotta part number?? I was watching you and....zman? someone else talking about injectors the other day on here and since then have gotten so lost about the ones that I would need..

Do you have to reset the fuel sync when you replace the motor?

Old 02-28-2012, 10:44 PM
mccart
Veteran

If your still lookin for a motor get a atk. My dad put one in his truck about 40k ago and no problems since.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:45 PM
mccart
Veteran

Oh, and he paid 1890 for the complete rebuilt motor

Old 02-29-2012, 02:13 AM
ekaplan
Professional

Where in Ohio are you? I just bought mine recently from private owner in Ohio on the wv side and ended up replacing the motor in january. Bought LKQ remanned for 1750 shipped. Bought it from the phoenix region. if you're looking online at companies I found out that LKQ owns atk, gearhead motors and a couple more domestic and couple ricer manufacturers too. I've already developed problems with mine. gonna do compression on Friday cuz I can't find my problem. Even if it is a bad motor i have three yr 100k mile warranty that covers parts and labor. I wouldn't listen to anything online if you Google companies. It all depends on who put it together and it seems like ppl only post to bitch. So you will only find a few good posts. Dodge told me after I had a motor that they only install their motors and cost 1400 realistically after parts and labor. My motor also came with a complete gasket set. Had to reuse valve and timing covers and oil pan. Dodge also said their motor was 2400. Remanned from their cummins factory. And mines a 5.9L gas. So keep lookin and keep ur head up. It's ur problem now since you prob financed going through a dealer and you'll lose your *** tryin to resell lol. I figured I'll replace mostly everything in next couple yrs and have a basically new truck lol

Old 02-29-2012, 07:46 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

lol gotta part number?? I was watching you and....zman? someone else talking about injectors the other day on here and since then have gotten so lost about the ones that I would need..

Do you have to reset the fuel sync when you replace the motor?
here are the 4 hole upgrade ones...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-Dodge-R...item27c3278180
These are remanufactured oem ones...dont need fuel sinc done
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Siemens-...item460063f345

and these are what I got... the newest generation 3 ones...( got mine from the seller in the first link but I messaged him asking for them (cost me $180 )

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-TRE-Fuel-I...item4161385679

any mechanic with the right equipment can re sinc your fuel timing in about 15 minutes...

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 02-29-2012 at 07:54 AM.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:36 PM
Shaggy433
Rookie

Ok well I think this will be the final update to this thread...I just got my truck back today after the dealership installed the new motor I got from O'riellys..When I took the old motor back to turn it in for the core deposit, I stopped at home to take the head off and see what the cause of all my problems were (cyl 5 misfire with oil fouled plug, 15psi compression one shop said that the exhaust valve was bad the dealership that I bought it from said that it was the piston was chipped and the cylinder walls were scored) I took some pictures to let you all see what I found..

http://img513.imageshack.us/slidesho...=cylinder7.jpg

So it seems that I didn't need a motor after all....But what would cause that to happen??? Fuel injector that went bad?

Old 03-13-2012, 07:33 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

But what would cause that to happen??? Fuel injector that went bad?
Leaking valve stem or seal will do that. The valve overheats because it's wearing a carbon blanket, and the repeated overheating takes the temper out of the steel making it brittle. It could also be that a chunk of that carbon broke loose and got between the valve and the seat.

If it was nothing more than a leaking valve seal, it could have been repaired before the valve got brittle for about $25.

Quick Reply: CHanged Plenum ....Not fixed