2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

CHanged Plenum ....Not fixed

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 10:59 AM
Shaggy433
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CHanged Plenum ....Not fixed

Hey guys I'm having an issue with my 01 ram 5.2. I bought it on dec 14th have put ~2500 miles on it since then..I have had to put in 7 qts of oil so far. Did some research on here and found out about the problems with the plenum gasket failure using excessive oil and misfiring (cyl 5 on mine) So on Saturday me and some buddies went ahead and changed the plenum plate with the aluminum one and all the gaskets. New intake bolts, plugs, rotor, cap and checked the plug wires were routed correctly as per the TSB.

When we pulled out cyl 5 plug, it looked as if someone had dropped it into a qt of oil and pulled it back out. It was absolutely covered! It is still misfiring and giving me the codes now of P1282 and P0305. The 0305 is the cyl 5 misfire and it looks like the p1282 is the fuel pump relay.. What do I try next to figure out where my oil is going?? There is no drops under the truck or on the undercarriage. I took pictures of the plenum plate but the gasket looked pretty good (dont think it was blown out) The plate was pretty dirty though so i thought for sure that was going to fix it..

Old 01-30-2012, 11:48 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Do a dry, then wet compression test. See what the numbers look like.

Did you change the plugs/wires/rotor/cap when you did the intake?

May not hurt to clean out the fuel rail/injectors.

how's your cat? O2 sensors?

Aftermarket PCV valve? (they tend to flow too much, and suck oil as well. get one from the dealer.)

Leaking any oil? Valve covers? Back of the manifold? Timing cover? Rear main? Etc....

Old 01-30-2012, 12:02 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

yikes... dont forget to post the pics in the plenum gasket pic thread...
you may just have a bad cylinder with bad rings...I second the compression check...It would be the first thing I'd try..
are you sure your ditstick is the right one? have you done an oil change to see how much is really in there?

Old 01-30-2012, 01:09 PM
Shaggy433
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Do a dry, then wet compression test. See what the numbers look like. I tried to do a compression test but I couldn't get the gauge to tighten down enough to do anything.

Did you change the plugs/wires/rotor/cap when you did the intake? Plugs yes others done about 2 weeks ago

May not hurt to clean out the fuel rail/injectors.

how's your cat? O2 sensors?Not sure yet

Aftermarket PCV valve? (they tend to flow too much, and suck oil as well. get one from the dealer.) Not sure about this either. Think im going to pick one up on my way home today

Leaking any oil? Valve covers? Back of the manifold? Timing cover? Rear main? Etc....I looked while doing the plenum and I didn't see any signs of it leaking anywhere.

answers to first reply above... I'm not sure about the dipstick. How would I tell if it correct? if I measure it and post on here would that work? Doing an oil change today so I will check the amount of oil thats in it now..

I am also starting to think that its a bad ring in there...which would mean time for a rebuild correct?

Last edited by Shaggy433; 01-30-2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:19 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Get some Techron+ and dump a lot of it in there for a couple weeks. I had the same problem when I did my 98.The misfire stopped after a while. Carbon on the valves I'd say. I got lucky and did not have a cracked head. And, with a plenum gasket as bad as yours, I'm sure the cat and o2's are toast! I wouldn't even run it without replacing , gutting the cat.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:23 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by zman17
Get some Techron+ and dump a lot of it in there for a couple weeks. I had the same problem when I did my 98.The misfire stopped after a while. Carbon on the valves I'd say. I got lucky and did not have a cracked head. And, with a plenum gasket as bad as yours, I'm sure the cat and o2's are toast! I wouldn't even run it without replacing , gutting the cat.
?? judging by the pic he posted his original gasket was sealed all the way around and not bulging? It appears his oil entered some other way... and recently too judging by the otherwise clean plate without the dried oil marks found where oil normally enters...
almost as if a breather or pvc had a major malfunction and sprayed it in at a high rate...
actually judging by the oil stain on the OUTSIDE of the plate where the lowest point would have been below the intake it appears that area was fully submerged in oil ... too much oil in the engine?

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 01-30-2012 at 01:30 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:28 PM
Shaggy433
Rookie

Yeah the gasket didn't appear to be bad anywhere no bulging, rips, tears, anything

Old 01-30-2012, 01:33 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by Shaggy433
Yeah the gasket didn't appear to be bad anywhere no bulging, rips, tears, anything
Did the top surface look even and dry when you pulled it from the manifold? The sealing marks look good from the pic.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:41 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You can only see one side of the gasket in the pic. And why does it have to be ripped or bulging to leak? The bolts are too long, so even if they seemed tight, oil will pass through the gasket and or around the bolts. Ok, not saying 100% the oil did not come from another source. But what difference does that make to the cat and o2's where it comes from?

Old 01-30-2012, 01:48 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by zman17
You can only see one side of the gasket in the pic. And why does it have to be ripped or bulging to leak? The bolts are too long, so even if they seemed tight, oil will pass through the gasket and or around the bolts. Ok, not saying 100% the oil did not come from another source. But what difference does that make to the cat and o2's where it comes from?
none ther I agree the cat and 02 sensors are a mess but no sense replacing them to the oil consuption is addressed... since he replaced the gasket and plate with an aluminum one and its still guzzling oil and the gasket didnt bulge at all which it always seems to do when its let loose, I think we can safetly assume the issue wasnt the gasket thats all... Everyone assumes if theres a lot of oil in the intake its plenum gasket related and not blowby from another problem..I'm just trying to keep things clear.

Quick Reply: CHanged Plenum ....Not fixed