2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

CHanged Plenum ....Not fixed

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 06:14 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

HAHAHA, that's what I said to myself , when I first looked at the dipstick.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:05 PM
Shaggy433
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well It has been a week now so here's an update....

I put a couple miles on it and it is still losing oil. I checked it Friday afternoon and it was a quart low. Maybe 150 miles since the oil change Monday evening..I'm dropping it off at the shop tonight and they will look at it tomorrow morning and do a compression test to hopefully figure out whats going on....

I'm quite nervous about what it will reveal but its time to start exploring my options for the worst case...If it is a bad ring in cyl 5, what should I do? Replace just the rings in just that one? All on that side? All?? And if it's a cracked head do I buy one new or two? Is it a good idea to put new heads on a motor with 115k miles? I searched around for that one but couldn't find a consensus on whether or not its a good idea...Price wise what's this gonna run me? 1000? 2000? I usually turn my own wrenches, but doing the plenum last week that was the furthest I have ever been into a motor and am scared to go any farther than that so this will have to be a shop job...

Old 02-06-2012, 10:44 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it is rings, do the whole thing. Never replace just one set. If head is cracked, I would replace both. And some will say differently, but I have put new (rebuilt) heads on an engine with over 100,000 on more than one occasion, with no problem. It depends on what shape the lower block is in whether doing the top end is sufficient.

Either case, I would change timing set as well also.

If it was me, and I had time, I would build up an engine form a JY in the garage, and swap it when I had it complete. But this would be dependent upon whether you have the tools, time, and experience building engines.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,382 Likes on 3,122 Posts

If they have to disassemble the engine to re-ring it.... might wanna just look at buying a long block, and just replace the whole thing, and be done with it. Probably end up close to the same cost, or less....

Old 02-07-2012, 12:11 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If they have to disassemble the engine to re-ring it.... might wanna just look at buying a long block, and just replace the whole thing, and be done with it. Probably end up close to the same cost, or less....

+1. If it is rings, then whole engine needs build. Pulling pistons and not doing mains and rod bearings would be foolish. But doing the top end if tha is where the problem is would be OK if bottom end was good.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:58 PM
Shaggy433
Rookie

Well the bad news was confirmed....Cly 5 had 15psi during the comp test....Added a little oil do run it wet and no change..They hooked up an airhose to it and spun the motor by hand and there was always air coming out of the exhaust so they think that the exhaust valve is toast. He was worried that it was STILL burning oil and thinks that the rings are shot as well...Price to fix it 2k for new heads or 4k for a Jasper motor.......FKNA great..
Is there any way that the stealership that I bought it from could have masked the problem for a few days considering it started all of this 2 days after I bought it??

Old 02-07-2012, 03:05 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

2 Days after you bought it, how long have you now had the truck? I think it's time to get ahold of the dealer.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:35 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaggy433
Well the bad news was confirmed....Cly 5 had 15psi during the comp test....Added a little oil do run it wet and no change..They hooked up an airhose to it and spun the motor by hand and there was always air coming out of the exhaust so they think that the exhaust valve is toast. He was worried that it was STILL burning oil and thinks that the rings are shot as well...Price to fix it 2k for new heads or 4k for a Jasper motor.......FKNA great..
Is there any way that the stealership that I bought it from could have masked the problem for a few days considering it started all of this 2 days after I bought it??
Need to check lemon law's in your state and see what you can do, I'd vote for a whole different vehicle, screw fixin' the motor, unless you're attached to it. But gotta see you what you can do first..

Old 02-07-2012, 03:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,382 Likes on 3,122 Posts

Yeah, have a chat with the dealer...... see what they have to say.

There are better motors out there, than Jasper.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:03 PM
Shaggy433
Rookie

Talked to the dealer and they said that I bought it "as is" so I'm SOL. Doesn't seem like Ohio has any lemon laws that cover used cars....

Merc225hp I've had it since Dec 14th so just under 2 months

Quick Reply: CHanged Plenum ....Not fixed