2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trans Pan Drain Bolt

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 10:39 PM
EFS463
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans Pan Drain Bolt

Im gonna be chaning out the trans pan gasket on the truck this weekend, so I wanted to avoid a mess. Is there a way I can drill the hole for the drain plug while the pan is on the trans so I can let the fluid drain? I have a 47re, where would be a safe location that wouldnt interfere with internals. Suggestions?

Old 02-02-2012, 10:46 PM
PapaG
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I added a drain plug in my 46re when I changed the fluid a couple of weeks ago. It was no problem to do but don't know that I would want to try it with the pan on. There are several spots that you can put it but you really have to be careful about where. Trying to guess from the outside and take a chance of drilling into something in the valve body isn't something I would do. But thats just my opinion.
Also be careful not to put it too close to the outside rounded corner of the pan because you have to allow for the nut to squeeze down on the sealing washers. If you get it too close to the rounded part it wont seal good and will leak.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:35 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think that if youi drill into the pan, you will get a face full of fluid just as you poke through. Just drop one corner of the pan down and let most of the fluid drain out. Won't leave such a bad taste in your mouth!

Old 02-03-2012, 12:10 AM
mibzzer15
Professional

I just bought my 99 Dodge Ram 1500 a few weeks ago and have not gotten the chance to look at the transmission thoroughly, but you guys are telling me there's no drain plug on the trans pan? Is that usual/normal or is this just something unique about Dodge Rams?

Old 02-03-2012, 12:19 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not necessarily unique. Dodge did not install plug on these transmission. Other manufactureers did on some, didn't on others. If you Ram has one, it was added by a previous owner.

Last edited by gdstock; 02-05-2012 at 03:38 PM. Reason: removed the perv!
Old 02-03-2012, 10:19 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by EFS463
Is there a way I can drill the hole for the drain plug while the pan is on the trans so I can let the fluid drain?
absolutely positively hell no.

to reduce the mess, first put down a big piece of cardboard. then get the biggest drain pan you can find. it needs to be as big as the transmission pan. place the drain pan under the trans, and loosen but don't remove all the bolts. because the fluid level is above the pan gasket, its should start to leak like a sieve. if it doesn't start leaking, smack it on the side with a rubber hammer. let it drain down until the flood subsides, about 2-3 quarts of fluid. now here's the trick. move the drain pan to the side and slide a floor jack under the pan. jack it up to hold the pan snug to the bottom of the trans, but don't bend it. remove all the pan bolts. now this takes all 3 of your hands. hold the pan steady on the jack and slowly lower it. then tip the trans pan over into the drain pan.

place the new drain plug on one of the flat panels of the trans pan, and in an area where it won't hit the solenoids. you can put it on the bottom or the side. either is fine.

Last edited by dhvaughan; 02-05-2012 at 09:25 AM.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:46 AM
Josh_Putman
Professional

Originally Posted by gdstock
Not necessarily unique. Dodge did not install plug on these transmission. Other manufactureers did on some, didn't on others. If you Ram has one, it was added by a pervious owner.
How exactly do you tell if the owner before you was "pervious"?

Old 02-05-2012, 09:49 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,389 Likes on 3,129 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh_Putman
How exactly do you tell if the owner before you was "pervious"?
Check the sex-offender registry.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:07 AM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

per·vi·ous/ˈpərvēəs/
Adjective:
(of a substance) Allowing water to pass through; permeable.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:48 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I would only use the B&M plug, had the other style on my 98, the gasket for the smaller plug sucked. The B&M plug is pipe thread. And this is where I installed it.

Name:  DSCF0614.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  109.6 KB

Name:  trans_plug2.jpg
Views: 791
Size:  48.1 KB

Quick Reply: Trans Pan Drain Bolt