2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

selling truck = FAIL

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012 | 08:42 AM
BackwoodsRam
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by smcandrew08
I dont see how your input has helped in this forum at all. Thank you for your help. I own a lifted truck because I use it to haul my toys around, i know a lot about trucks and cars in general, but don't know anything about the way transfer cases work. Things break and people learn, you surly cant tell me that you have never broke any part for any which reason and didn't learn, if the tc is bad, I get to learn how to rebuild it. I am not an idiot I know how to shift into 4 low I tried every which way and the truck still pops right out(which caused me to question if I was doing something wrong). Don't bother posting if your pollute this site with this kind of garbage just to try make a fool out of me. I could call you out on some of the things you have posted as well but I don't because this is an informative site and a good source to help dodge owners when people aren't filling it with trash like you just posted.

Thank you to the people who actually had an answer and not just comments for the peanut gallery. Like I said the truck still pops out in 4 low as soon as i let go of the lever. I am going to adjust the linkage tmr and see if it helps...

Dude take a chill pill

Old 02-09-2012 | 10:18 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion

I think he explained himself reasonably considering the circumstances.

The issue still remains with the popping out of 4lo.

OP, I'm going to presume you followed description to engage via the manual and/or drew, but maybe another way I could suggest. It may be splitting hairs or is lame-o-tcase specific.

1. Get yourself level or not rolling,
2. Change to N on the shift selector
3. Change transfer case to N (this is the different step)
4. Take foot OFF brake
5. Firmly push into 4LO (oh...is your 4lo forward? b/c mine is. I think another change in 2000)
6. If not successful, tcase back to N.
7. Engage the drive to move backward a little, back to N, try again with tcase to 4LO.

Last resort, as you said, go for adjusting the linkage. Best way I've done it is get 4 jack stands and get your mother up in the air. I believe this is out of the FSM actually, but I also found online b/c of doing this recently for my body lift:

SHIFT LINKAGE ADJUSTMENT
(1) Shift transfer case into 4L position. (make sure your shifter is fully in the 4L position)
(2) Raise vehicle.
(3) Loosen lock bolt on adjusting trunnion (Fig.
87).
(4) Be sure linkage rod slides freely in trunnion.
Clean rod and apply spray lube if necessary.
(5) Verify that transfer case range lever is fully
engaged in 4L position. (you can do this under the vehicle at the transfer case)
(6) Tighten adjusting trunnion lock bolt.
(7) Lower vehicle

Yes I understand it says to be in 4L to begin with so this is for reference.

Hope it helps you towards getting that beast to work right.

Old 02-09-2012 | 05:18 PM
crawlin95
Professional

could be the guides on the shift forks are badly worn it is a common problem with the 231 and 241.

Old 02-09-2012 | 10:53 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

I dont see how your input has helped in this forum at all. Thank you for your help. I own a lifted truck because I use it to haul my toys around, i know a lot about trucks and cars in general, but don't know anything about the way transfer cases work. Things break and people learn, you surly cant tell me that you have never broke any part for any which reason and didn't learn, if the tc is bad, I get to learn how to rebuild it. I am not an idiot I know how to shift into 4 low I tried every which way and the truck still pops right out(which caused me to question if I was doing something wrong). Don't bother posting if your pollute this site with this kind of garbage just to try make a fool out of me. I could call you out on some of the things you have posted as well but I don't because this is an informative site and a good source to help dodge owners when people aren't filling it with trash like you just posted.

Thank you to the people who actually had an answer and not just comments for the peanut gallery. Like I said the truck still pops out in 4 low as soon as i let go of the lever. I am going to adjust the linkage tmr and see if it helps...
you own a four wheel drive truck that modified to "enhance" its offroad and four wheel drive capabilities NOT to help you play with your toys... a lifted truck usually just hurts its towing capabilities if anything.... but if you knew anything about the modifications on your truck you would know that already...
Its like buying a stick sportscar just to be a poser and showoff and never bothering to learn how to drive stick...
I think My points were very valid... Other people should know this is the kind of thing they could be stepping into when buying a used truck from someone like yourself... The current owner could have made no effort to bother reading the do's and donts of how to even drive the thing right let alone maintain it properly...
Nevermind the big warning sticker on the visor...You say owning it "has been a real PITA" I wonder why?

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 02-09-2012 at 11:08 PM.
Old 02-10-2012 | 05:33 PM
smcandrew08
|
Professional

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
you own a four wheel drive truck that modified to "enhance" its offroad and four wheel drive capabilities NOT to help you play with your toys... a lifted truck usually just hurts its towing capabilities if anything.... but if you knew anything about the modifications on your truck you would know that already...
Its like buying a stick sportscar just to be a poser and showoff and never bothering to learn how to drive stick...
I think My points were very valid... Other people should know this is the kind of thing they could be stepping into when buying a used truck from someone like yourself... The current owner could have made no effort to bother reading the do's and donts of how to even drive the thing right let alone maintain it properly...
Nevermind the big warning sticker on the visor...You say owning it "has been a real PITA" I wonder why?
I have never had to use 4 low before, everyone I know with these trucks has problems with getting their truck in 4 low. The linkage ended up being set wrong and now the truck stays in 4 low just fine. I dont understand why your so down on something like this, I dont have a sticker on my visor and never had one since I have had the truck. I was just asking you guys for help to see if I was doing something wrong. I bought the truck lifted because it looks cool and I haul a car trailer with quads and plants for my nursery. Other then that my truck stays on paved roads and only goes up to the mtn to the ski resort which is why I would no nothing about figuring out 4 low. Me owning the truck has nothing with the truck being a pain. Everyone on this forum knows that these trucks have front end problems, as well as trans issues, and bad plenums. Your acting like thebigredone

Last edited by smcandrew08; 02-10-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old 02-11-2012 | 11:47 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion

I have never had to use 4 low before, everyone I know with these trucks has problems with getting their truck in 4 low. The linkage ended up being set wrong and now the truck stays in 4 low just fine. I dont understand why your so down on something like this, I dont have a sticker on my visor and never had one since I have had the truck. I was just asking you guys for help to see if I was doing something wrong. I bought the truck lifted because it looks cool and I haul a car trailer with quads and plants for my nursery. Other then that my truck stays on paved roads and only goes up to the mtn to the ski resort which is why I would no nothing about figuring out 4 low. Me owning the truck has nothing with the truck being a pain. Everyone on this forum knows that these trucks have front end problems, as well as trans issues, and bad plenums. Your acting like thebigredone
At this point this isnt benefiting anyone but for the record I wasnt commenting on the 4 wheel low thing..I was commenting on the fact that you didnt know your not supposed to use your 4wd on dry pavement, This is like the single most imporant rule to know about a real 4wd vehicle because it causes a lot of stress and wear and tear to your truck often breaking things quickly.... The very admission that you never knew that all the way up to the point that your now selling the truck tells me you never read the owners manual or asked to be shown how 4wd vehicles work..It also means its safe to bet you never looked at the maintenance section of that same manual either... I dont know where the warning sticker went on your truck but it was there at one time. When you say the trucks been a pos after admitting things like that it adds insult to injury... MY truck has been a challange to fix and maintain because I found out the hard way the previous owner didnt know or was too lazy to do anything right...

Now this may not have anything to do with you but being that I drive a lot for a living I pass teenagers in ditches on the side of the thruway every year who dont know things like 4wd doesnt help you stop any better or cruise control is dangerous to use on snowy or icy roads....Kids dont bother to read and learn this stuff even though its a big deal and parents assume they would know this and often fail to mention it... They take everything for granted it seems...
New drivers often come here complaining that their truck is a piece of crap and leave out the fact that it failed when they were "baha"ing with it jumping hills at 50mph or something to that effect.... then they blame it on the weaknesses of the truck design... yes these trucks have weak trannies and front end suspension designs...but they arent really an issue to most who do the proper maintenance and dont abuse them... they are old at this point and usually handed down to the hardest group of owner on them that they have ever had, KIDS!
It just seems lately that soo many kids have been coming here with no clue lately asking things you would expect a 10yr old to ask having no clue about the reality of what they are saying.. "why isnt my truck faster than the other guys at school" "what can I do to make it better than the new trucks with no money" ,"why is it slow now that I put 400lbs of 37" tall tires on it?" "I want to take my IFS 2wd v6 truck and turn it into a lifted 4wd monstertruck with my paper route money this month" Then they argue with the facts because they dont like the answers...they do dumb things , the truck breaks and they come here blaming in on the truck? It really gets old listening to the excuses....
I guess I saw your post at the wrong time and over reacted a bit here but understand for example,
If you did screw the 4wd and drivetrain all up by not using the 4wd right and sold the truck.... Odds are the kid who would buy your truck would come here bitching and screaming about what a pos it is and we would be the ones to listen and help... Chances are some 16 year old kid who read this now knows more about what not to do with a 4wd vehicle because of the big deal that was made of it here.

You mentioned the truck has been a PITA to own but you never took the time to learn how to use it right? Come on.... Thats the bottom line.

I honestly think the main reason these gen 2 trucks seem to have so many failures is because of the demograph of the majority of owners they seem to have at this point in thier lives... most of the members who join here now days are teenagers and they beat the **** out of these trucks not knowing anything about them and then sell them to some other kid ...its a vicious cycle now that there performance is obsolete to most who would appreciate them.
Stepping off the soapbox now....

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 02-11-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old 02-11-2012 | 05:54 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

i suggest this thread come to an end.

Quick Reply: selling truck = FAIL