2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

selling truck = FAIL

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012 | 12:44 AM
smcandrew08
|
Professional
Default selling truck = FAIL

So I went to sell my truck today and when the guy test driving tried to put it in 4 low to see if it worked o.k. the truck popped the 4wd shifter right back out and made a grinding noise. We tried to hold it in and go forward in an idle but no luck, the truck kicked it back out again. I am thinking the transfer case linkage needs to be adjusted 4 hi seemed to work fine..

I do have one more problem though. When we were on the test drive the guy put the truck in 4 hi on dry pavement to see if the 4x4 worked as it should and everything seemed fine until he went to make a turn. The truck really didnt seem to like turning, it bucked but it did turn in a wide radius. Is this normal because of dry pavement or is there something wrong here too? I dont get to use 4x4 much so I have no idea how this truck is actually supposed to act when its in 4 hi.

Old 02-08-2012 | 01:01 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion

You never do 4hi or 4lo on dry pavement as what you experienced is what happens. --> Also look at your driver sun visor.

Old 02-08-2012 | 02:27 AM
99dodge318
Record Breaker

Yeah that bucking feeling was your front axle binding up, dont do that too much or you will end up snapping a u-joint or cause serious damage to something else!

Old 02-08-2012 | 06:28 AM
Novarider
Captain

If someone wants to test the 4wd take them to gravel or dirt.

Old 02-08-2012 | 06:35 AM
stewie01
Legend

Or just don't turn!

Old 02-08-2012 | 07:18 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

as said, the difficulty in turning is normal.
also as said, avoid anything other than straight line driving on dry pavement,

for 4 Low - the shifting process is critical because there are no syncronizers like in 4 High. so you have 2 choices -
at a 1 mph slow roll, shift transmission to neutral, then shift hard and fast from 2 high to 4 low and do not pause or stop in neutral. if you do stop, or it won't go - proceed to step 2--

stop. turn engine off. shift to 4 Low. restart engine.
this is normal.

Old 02-08-2012 | 10:41 AM
smcandrew08
|
Professional

Thanks guys I will make sure the next test drive is either on gravel or make sure its only in a straight line. I kinda freaked out when he was turning I was super afraid of him breaking something. I will try shutting the truck off and shifting to 4 low. When I tried to shift it the truck was stopped and the trans in neutral but we were going from 4 hi to 4 low. I will give it a try and let you guys know how it ends up. This truck has been a pita the whole way, I still hate to see it go though...

Old 02-08-2012 | 12:04 PM
sniper dave
Professional

Just an idea, when it comes to letting someone test drive, you take over and show them how 4 wheel drive works. It could save you some money and a sale!!

(I've had some goofy "tire kickers" that just wanted a joy ride in my M3 when I was selling it...)

Old 02-08-2012 | 01:00 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by smcandrew08
So I went to sell my truck today and when the guy test driving tried to put it in 4 low to see if it worked o.k. the truck popped the 4wd shifter right back out and made a grinding noise. We tried to hold it in and go forward in an idle but no luck, the truck kicked it back out again. I am thinking the transfer case linkage needs to be adjusted 4 hi seemed to work fine..

I do have one more problem though. When we were on the test drive the guy put the truck in 4 hi on dry pavement to see if the 4x4 worked as it should and everything seemed fine until he went to make a turn. The truck really didnt seem to like turning, it bucked but it did turn in a wide radius. Is this normal because of dry pavement or is there something wrong here too? I dont get to use 4x4 much so I have no idea how this truck is actually supposed to act when its in 4 hi.
How could you possible own a lifts 4wd truck like that and know nothing about 4wd basics? thats a good way to trash things.
BTW cruise control is very bad on icy roads too... Thats another no no newbies dont seem to know...
I'm sorry If I'm coming off as overcriticle but There really isnt any excuse not to know this stuff....short of not being able to read which your presence here rules out..Its IMPORTANT!.
People buy used trucks like this and everything is broken or on its way out and reasons like this are to blame!

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 02-08-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-09-2012 | 01:05 AM
smcandrew08
|
Professional

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
How could you possible own a lifts 4wd truck like that and know nothing about 4wd basics? thats a good way to trash things.
BTW cruise control is very bad on icy roads too... Thats another no no newbies dont seem to know...
I'm sorry If I'm coming off as overcriticle but There really isnt any excuse not to know this stuff....short of not being able to read which your presence here rules out..Its IMPORTANT!.
People buy used trucks like this and everything is broken or on its way out and reasons like this are to blame!
I dont see how your input has helped in this forum at all. Thank you for your help. I own a lifted truck because I use it to haul my toys around, i know a lot about trucks and cars in general, but don't know anything about the way transfer cases work. Things break and people learn, you surly cant tell me that you have never broke any part for any which reason and didn't learn, if the tc is bad, I get to learn how to rebuild it. I am not an idiot I know how to shift into 4 low I tried every which way and the truck still pops right out(which caused me to question if I was doing something wrong). Don't bother posting if your pollute this site with this kind of garbage just to try make a fool out of me. I could call you out on some of the things you have posted as well but I don't because this is an informative site and a good source to help dodge owners when people aren't filling it with trash like you just posted.

Thank you to the people who actually had an answer and not just comments for the peanut gallery. Like I said the truck still pops out in 4 low as soon as i let go of the lever. I am going to adjust the linkage tmr and see if it helps...

Quick Reply: selling truck = FAIL