2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Towing / Daily Driving

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 10:43 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have heard/read that lots of tune changes/flashes to your PCM will eventually kill it? Truth to this rumor?

Old 02-12-2012, 11:13 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2x1972
I have heard/read that lots of tune changes/flashes to your PCM will eventually kill it? Truth to this rumor?
Rumor, and I never heard that. It probably started with people who flash their trucks then use the same SCT to tune their buddy's truck. After you tune your buddy's car you only have 3 flashes left before the scanner is locked and you need to pay 150 to SCT to get it unlocked (and you have to mail it).

I have flashed my PCM about a dozen times with my SCT.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:34 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

wouldn't using a SCT also allow you to run a cooler thermostat which would be keep the engine and trans a bit cooler when towing?

Old 02-13-2012, 12:04 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
wouldn't using a SCT also allow you to run a cooler thermostat which would be keep the engine and trans a bit cooler when towing?
In theory yes. However, if you have too low of a thermostat and your cooling system is not efficient anymore, then you run the risk of the coolant never getting BELOW 180*. When that happens the coolant does not have enough time to cool down in the radiator and the temperature just goes higher and higher. More RPMs in towing the faster the coolant is going through the system.

However, i only had that problem with my IROC. They have horrible cooling systems because they have no grille. So if your cooling system is not perfect, you will run pretty hot.

The big problem here is taking out the torque management. Dodge added that to take less strain off the drivetrain, particularly the rearend, when your bed is loaded or you are hauling a heavy load. Cooling has no bearing on that.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:11 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

Originally Posted by CPTAFW163
In theory yes. However, if you have too low of a thermostat and your cooling system is not efficient anymore, then you run the risk of the coolant never getting BELOW 180*. When that happens the coolant does not have enough time to cool down in the radiator and the temperature just goes higher and higher. More RPMs in towing the faster the coolant is going through the system.

However, i only had that problem with my IROC. They have horrible cooling systems because they have no grille. So if your cooling system is not perfect, you will run pretty hot.

The big problem here is taking out the torque management. Dodge added that to take less strain off the drivetrain, particularly the rearend, when your bed is loaded or you are hauling a heavy load. Cooling has no bearing on that.
I thought torque management was more intended to compensate for the weak transmissions?

Old 02-13-2012, 11:11 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I thought torque management was more intended to compensate for the weak transmissions?
It was my understanding that the torque management was done INSIDE the transmission to create less strain on the whole drivetrain. People were saying that it is not wise to have that much strain on a C-clip axle when you have a loaded bed. I guess you can get c-clip eliminators.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:33 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Torque management almost has to be software though, how else could a tuner eliminate it? Up to 96, when trans pressures were controlled by a mechanical governor, seems you wouldn't have it at all?

Just trying to understand here.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:55 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Torque management almost has to be software though, how else could a tuner eliminate it? Up to 96, when trans pressures were controlled by a mechanical governor, seems you wouldn't have it at all?

Just trying to understand here.
sorry I meant software that changes the way the transmission works when distributing torque. Not a mechanical thing inside the tranny, but software that changes what is going on inside the tranny (and not in mechanical terms)

Old 02-13-2012, 12:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by CPTAFW163
sorry I meant software that changes the way the transmission works when distributing torque. Not a mechanical thing inside the tranny, but software that changes what is going on inside the tranny (and not in mechanical terms)
Right.

My guess is, the PCM modifies governor pressure for given conditions... I really need to find some articles on how this works. I have enough trouble with auto trannies to begin with. It's all black magic as far as I am concerned. Ya spin one end, and it comes out the other faster, slower, or the other friggin direction... what happens in between is "The Great Mystery"...

Old 02-13-2012, 12:04 PM
mccart
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That 318 will handle it with no problem. This weekend i hauled a trailer of wood that was at least 6000 lbs with my 1/2 ton 318 5 speed. If you have a 3.55 rear end itll be a little difficult taking off but it pulls pretty good. Its no problem at all if you have 3.92s

Quick Reply: Towing / Daily Driving