2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Suggestions for lift and other things on my ram

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012 | 03:48 PM
P1NKST@FF
|
Professional

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
Then do a leaf spring to get your "flex". However, the "amount" of flex is in question here.

Go to this thread, last 2 videos in the thread to see my buddies green ram. This is the flex I'm referring to, so maybe the "reference" here is different b/t us.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/the-gre...critiques.html

This is why I initially asked the questions earlier. I'm not knocking Rough Country at all. Just looking to provide input on what was being characterized.

Good luck on the build and hope you share it!
That truck is sick. Money is the main object and fab work, I would rather do all the labor myself and am mostly lookin for bolt on stuff. Did he have to do much fab work? and about how much did he spend? I think thats a little over the top than what I had originally though but if I can afford it that would be nice.

Does anybody know a way to get more braking pressure for bigger tires? I've been wondering this awhile, and if i need bigger discs then I should get bigger rims to clear them and do this all about the same time

Last edited by P1NKST@FF; 02-18-2012 at 03:58 PM.
Old 02-18-2012 | 08:45 PM
ryan0714
Record Breaker

You can do the LD 2500 brake upgrade. There are threads on it if you search.

And for the record whiteknuckle :P I don't have a rake. Perfect level.

Old 02-19-2012 | 05:20 AM
P1NKST@FF
|
Professional

Thanks for the info on the brake upgrade, and I looked for a couple minutes for long arm lift kits and they were all running over $1200 wich is a little more than I want to spend at one time. I also looked at rough country's 5" lift which is a little over $700 (not so bad) and a long arm kit thats suppose to go with a lift for $900 (I wouldn't mind splitting it up like this) so would that give me the same offroad performance as an expencive up front kit or would I be waiting time and money?

Old 02-19-2012 | 09:34 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

I'm confused, 1200 bucks is too much to spend, but, splitting it up, and spending 1600 is ok???

Mixing and matching lift parts really isn't a good idea, you are much better off buying a complete kit, that has been designed to work AS a kit.

Links to kits in question??

Old 02-19-2012 | 12:27 PM
P1NKST@FF
|
Professional

Idk how to post links, I figured breaking it up would be better even if it cost more cuz I got to buy a lot of stuff tires lift brake lines calipers and pads and I'm sure other odds and ends that I'm forgetting

Old 02-19-2012 | 12:52 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Go for a complete kit, it will come with everything you need. (including brake lines.) You will end up spending less money.....

You can do calipers and pads whenever you care to. What year is your truck? (you should put that info in your profile, and your sig.)

Old 02-19-2012 | 07:14 PM
P1NKST@FF
|
Professional

I just made a dig the other day but don't have a computer so it never shows up, it's a 96

Old 02-19-2012 | 09:06 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by P1NKST@FF
well I'm in albuquerque NM so high desert wheeling, I like crawling on rocks a little so I need some flex and clearance and with that I should be able get through most of the other stuff except sand.... a bit too heavy for that. As far as tires I already have 35s and want a bit bigger and I'm pretty sure the axle can handle it. I dont like body lifts but other than that I like ryans set up, do you have a rough idea about how much that cost?

And mccart are any of those power mods hard to do on the engine in the truck and what are the downfalls? Also can that tuner adjust spedometer for the gears and the tires?
gears would be the most important upgrade you could make to improve drivability beased on what you already have.
.Your not really losing power because the wheels weigh more as much as the fact that the larger the wheel the higher it changes the vehicles gear ratios... tires are basically a gear to the road and the larger you go the lower you need to go with diff gears to compensate... otherwise its like driving a stick and shifting up too soon... its really hard on the truck and its sluggish.
35" tires and 3.55 gears would really be tough on the tranny and drivetrain and the truck will be very sluggish with bad gas mileage.

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 02-19-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old 02-20-2012 | 01:58 AM
P1NKST@FF
|
Professional

Yea they ain't helping my tranny any and my gas mileage leaves something to be desired I just ain't sure what gears to get, part of me says just go big and get 4:56s but my motor has had a long life and would suck to blow it up from over reving cuz I picked too tall of a gear

Old 02-20-2012 | 02:49 AM
P1NKST@FF
|
Professional

With 37s and 4.56s would there be a higher probability of breaking an axle or just as can be expected? I don't do anything overly crazy but would be nice to have more wheels pulling sometimes

Quick Reply: Suggestions for lift and other things on my ram