2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Suggestions for lift and other things on my ram

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012 | 10:21 PM
P1NKST@FF
|
Professional
Default Suggestions for lift and other things on my ram

Hey y'all, well the mustang is about roadworthy so its getting time to show my truck some love. It's a 96 with 318 automatic and 4wd, mechanically its fairly sound tranny acts up but I think I can limp it awhile longer as it is, and my brakes are finiky these days. It has a 2 1/2" level lift in front and 2" addaleafs in the back, and recently I started losing pressure when I turn the wheel past one full rotation, it's had the lift for about 3 years now and this is the first bit of trouble I've gotten from it aside from losing power through the heavy tires.

So its looked like this picture for about 3 years and I'm ready for more, right now I'm thinking 6" lift with 4:56 gears and 37" tires, I'm just proding for products you used and what they came with were laking and how they preformed.

This truck does spend some time off road and I want it to be able to go over or through most of the stuff I come across and still be about as reliable as it is now, all input is appreciated thanks for viewing

Attached Thumbnails Suggestions for lift and other things on my ram-f6c52183.jpg  

Last edited by P1NKST@FF; 02-17-2012 at 10:23 PM.
Old 02-17-2012 | 11:11 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion

Hey Pink,
I'm replying on mobile right now and could give you some input, but need to ask some things.

Where you located/region?

Type of wheeling you have and desire? Maybe breakdown % on type of driving.

Interested in boltons or fab work?

Timeframe target?

Old 02-18-2012 | 12:45 AM
mccart
Veteran

Just do a 6 inch suspension lift, 35s, 4.56 gears. A sct tuner, m1 intake and some 1.7 roller rockers to help turn those big tires.

What % of on road/off road do you do?

Old 02-18-2012 | 01:17 AM
ryan0714
Record Breaker

well rough country makes a good 5" suspension kit, but it comes with the level spacer u already have, u might be able to call them and get them to alter the kit and get longer springs. here is a list of what i did, i pieced it together my way...

2.5" coil spacers
3" lift coils
3" blocks on rear
3" body lift

so basically i got 9" in front and 6" rear for 6" overall. you gonna need longer brake lines so if the kit dont come with it get some. you said when u turn u lose pressure? im guessing in the wheel... ever change the steering stabilizer? i have dual steering stabilizers on the front. oh and also you will need shocks long enough also. i got Bilstien 5100s on mine.

any other performance mods you can see in my sig. below. but yea dont put 37s unless ur puttin dana 60s under it. dana 40s cant handle it.

Old 02-18-2012 | 01:18 AM
dlyter09
Champion

You mean the 9.25 and dana 44

Old 02-18-2012 | 03:00 PM
P1NKST@FF
|
Professional

well I'm in albuquerque NM so high desert wheeling, I like crawling on rocks a little so I need some flex and clearance and with that I should be able get through most of the other stuff except sand.... a bit too heavy for that. As far as tires I already have 35s and want a bit bigger and I'm pretty sure the axle can handle it. I dont like body lifts but other than that I like ryans set up, do you have a rough idea about how much that cost?

And mccart are any of those power mods hard to do on the engine in the truck and what are the downfalls? Also can that tuner adjust spedometer for the gears and the tires?

Old 02-18-2012 | 03:22 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion

Originally Posted by ryan0714
so basically i got 9" in front and 6" rear for 6" overall.

any other performance mods you can see in my sig. below. but yea dont put 37s unless ur puttin dana 60s under it. dana 40s cant handle it.
You sure you want 9" in the front and 6" in the rear? Hell of a rake!

There are no dana 40s as dlyter09 mentions.

Dana 44s can be run with 37" tires as it's just dependent on your driving style and terrain.

If you want flex, then rough country 5" SL kit control arm replacements are just stock replaceable to recenter the axle. A long arm kit gets you flex for rocks.

Old 02-18-2012 | 03:23 PM
P1NKST@FF
|
Professional

Originally Posted by ryan0714
you said when u turn u lose pressure? im guessing in the wheel... ever change the steering stabilizer? i have dual steering stabilizers on the front. oh and also you will need shocks long enough also. i got Bilstien 5100s on mine.

yes its when I turn the wheel and its a relatively new thing used to have no issues. and I'm still on a single steering stabilizer, it's a rancho like the rest of my shocks, they'v been good but I think are about finished so I plan on doing this all at once

Old 02-18-2012 | 03:25 PM
P1NKST@FF
|
Professional

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
You sure you want 9" in the front and 6" in the rear? Hell of a rake!

There are no dana 40s as dlyter09 mentions.

Dana 44s can be run with 37" tires as it's just dependent on your driving style and terrain.

If you want flex, then rough country 5" SL kit control arm replacements are just stock replaceable to recenter the axle. A long arm kit gets you flex for rocks.
maybe I should have worded that different, I don't think I can afford a longtravel kit and dont have the resources to build one, what I meant was I don't want anything overly stiff.. If that makes sence

Old 02-18-2012 | 03:30 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion

Then do a leaf spring to get your "flex". However, the "amount" of flex is in question here.

Go to this thread, last 2 videos in the thread to see my buddies green ram. This is the flex I'm referring to, so maybe the "reference" here is different b/t us.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/the-gre...critiques.html

This is why I initially asked the questions earlier. I'm not knocking Rough Country at all. Just looking to provide input on what was being characterized.

Good luck on the build and hope you share it!

Quick Reply: Suggestions for lift and other things on my ram