2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

cranks but no spark or fuel

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 09:47 PM
95 lifted ram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cranks but no spark or fuel

I just bought my 1995 dodge ram 1500 4x4 360 automatic and i test drove it and it drove fine well i drove the truck home and halfway there it died like someone was shuttin off the engine. well id try to start it again and it wouldnt start for a good four or five hours and it did that for three days and today i tried to start it and nothin so now its not starting at all. well i asked around and alot of people have said crank sensor i tested it and its not bad i also tested the camshaft sensor and vehicle speed sensor and they passed ive also tested all the relays and fuses they all passed i changed the ignition coil and it wasnt that. i also tested all my grounds and there good the truck did have a aftermarket alarm system on it befor i got it and he removed it before he sold it

Old 02-22-2012, 09:51 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,216 Likes on 2,967 Posts

Does the CEL come on when you turn the ignition on?

Are you getting spark? Got fuel pressure? Do you even hear the fuel pump prime? It sure sounds a lot like a bad crank sensor.......

Old 02-22-2012, 09:58 PM
95 lifted ram

the cel is out on the dash i dont know if the last owner removed the bulb or if its just out and no i have no spark and no the fuel pump is not priming we scanned it and all it showed was a bad o2 sensor

Old 02-22-2012, 10:01 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

How did you verify the relays?

No fuel pump prime is bad...... Either a failed sensor somewhere causing an ASD event, or, bad PCM...... Check the connector at the PCM, make sure everything is clean, and making good contact there.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:05 PM
95 lifted ram

I put in new relays and i already checked the connection on the pcm and its clean but a little loose it looks like the last guy was messing with some of the wiring

Old 02-22-2012, 11:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Wonder if he messed up the wiring.......

Look in the faq section here, and you will find a thread for Dodge Ram Factory Service Manuals. Conveniently enough, there is a 95 manual available for download. Grab that. You are going to have to start by verifying all the wiring. Make sure you get power where you are supposed to.

I would start with the fuel pump relay.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:23 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would start by gathering 10-12 friends, aquiring large firearms, and knocking on the seller's door. Use your imagination as to what type of behavior you should display after this first step.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:46 AM
working4ev
Professional

How much was the truck?? If the price was to good to be true you know what you are in for..

This could be a problem with the alarm. You need to look under the drivers side dash and see how they removed / installed it. If they cut out the alarm and did not reconnect the wiring tight this could be the cause.

Now lets get this truck fixed.

1 The check engine light is not coming on with the other dash lights? (Brake, ABS, Airbag ext.)

If the light is not lighting at all. The bulb may have been removed Shi!!y way of showing there is no check engine problems. The bulb is fairly easy to replace about .50 cents at auto zone.

More than likely the A@@ cleared the computer. This is why everything was good on the test drive. Can you pull the check engine codes? This will give us a place to start.

Post a picture of your truck!!

Last edited by working4ev; 02-23-2012 at 12:54 AM.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:42 AM
95 lifted ram

i paid 2000 for the truck but thats because when i went to look at the truck it needed a belt battery a new tailgate and the paint looked like it was all scratched up till i cleaned it and all it was was mud all the lights on the dash come on except for the cel and when we used a obd 1 scanner on it all it bought up was the o2 sensor i did look under the dash already it looked like he hooked everything back up right the ignition coil did have an extra wire soldered into it

Old 02-23-2012, 11:38 AM
95 lifted ram

Quick Reply: cranks but no spark or fuel